UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2014, 9:54 pm   #1
David Goodall
Pentode

Default Raspberry Pi Wobbulator

Hello all. Has anyone seen, or built this wobbulator? I don't have a wobbulator, and I'm looking to build one.

http://asliceofraspberrypi.blogspot....lator-kit.html
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 12:53 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Raspberry Pi Wobbulator

It looks good, and quite sensibly done. With one of the ADI loggers for a detector, it's really a scalar network analyser and not just a wobbulator. The DDS approach allows wide down to very narrow sweeps, and the designer even shows plots of crystal responses. I think the DDS looks like an AD9850 which will clock to 125MHz,and so give normal use to about 50MHz.

I've used those parts before and they'll do very nicely. The computer will also give you digital trace storage which is much nicer for the slow sweeps needed to plot narrow filters.

I'd go for it.

David
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 9:21 pm   #3
David Goodall
Pentode

Thanks David. It will be fun to play with, so I shall give it a go for £40.
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 11:02 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

You'll need to build a well-screened multi-section attenuator to go with it to get the level down to what would suit a radio input. Working at low level stops the AGC trying to 'correct' what you're trying to see.

I buit myself spectrum analyser with a tracking generator some years ago, otherwise I might just be building one of these.

David
Old 6th Jan 2014, 7:04 pm   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

I built a prototype of something similar, with microcontrollers to make a vector display on a scope, a few years ago and still use another wobbulator using an AD9851 DDS and PIC controller nicely boxed up - great fun and I still use it. I've got a pair (or maybe three) of those modules kicking around and was going to make a simple VNA - maybe I'll just crib this one - looks interesting

Dom
Old 9th Jan 2014, 9:32 am   #6
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Goodall View Post
Hello all. Has anyone seen, or built this wobbulator?
I have just built one. Early testing as yet but it looks good so far. The kit is excellent (but not for the faint-hearted - it's mostly surface mount soldering so you'll need a steady hand, a magnifier and the correct soldering iron!).

A surprise yesterday was that I got the frequency output down to 440Hz - I'll be trying to get down to about 20Hz if possible then the wobbulator will be useful as an audio amp frequency response tester!

I'll update the forum as more results come in.

Richard
Closed Thread