UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2019, 3:46 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default Harman Kardon PM650 Indication Lights

I could not resist buying one of the above from a well known web site and was pleased at what I received for the money paid.
Apart from a few glaring issues that are not particularly difficult to sort I could do with a bit of guidance with the indication lights; pics attached.
As can be seen, they are of an insert and twist configuration. A bit of corrosion has occurred but it did not prevent their removal; albeit one was missing.
My question is does anyone know if such items can still be sourced and if so, from whom?
They are incandescent operative from a 20V DC source.
The latter obviously permits the optional use of LEDs without any radical mods and here again would anyone have any suggestions?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1087.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	176900   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1088.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	176901   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1089.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	176902  
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 4:53 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Harman Kardon PM650 Indication Lights

Search for 'grain of wheat' bulbs, though you may have trouble finding 20V ones. 24V ones will probably be OK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-pcs-5m...s/400109549060

If you are certain the supply is DC, you can easily substitute a white LED. You can experiment with whatever you have to hand, adjusting the series resistor to get the right brightness. It will work with AC too, but that might result in visible flicker.

If you don't want focussed light from the LED, you can crack off the plastic lens with a pair of sidecutters.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 5:54 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
one was missing. They are incandescent operative from a 20V DC source.
If they were all out, it's worth checking that they're not lower voltage types connected in series like Christmas tree lights. I've found that Grundig sometimes like to do this sort of thing!
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 7:40 pm   #4
Bookman
Hexode

Thanks to Paul and Techman.
I was actually thinking of xmas tree lights as a possible option indeed I am a switchgear guy and had not heard of "grain of wheat nomenclature" previously so yet another variable for consideration?
Incidentally, my reference to 20V DC is in fact the measured Voltage taken on the PC Board and that each bulb has its own circuitry. Yes, it is an open circuit value but with only 6 bulbs in circuit I doubt the percentage regulation will reduce the value much. Furthermore, the PM 650 has a plastic cover that has green and red tape and as such there is no white colour. Ergo, a dim 24V rated item ought to suffice.
Cant wait to test the item as I am eager to see what effect the "Cartridge Trim Capacitor selector switch" has.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 7:56 pm   #5
snowman_al
Octode

The service manual is freely available on the web. Try here https://www.vintageshifi.com/reperto...H-Kardon-4.php

Circuit page 7 and Lamp panel page 14.

Its shows them as 36mA jobbies. I think the 110 volt bit is a mis-print and 20 / 24 volts would be fine.
As would using LEDs and series resistors in their place.

Alan

Last edited by snowman_al; 22nd Jan 2019 at 8:14 pm. Reason: typo
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 8:33 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Be careful with Christmas tree bulbs. Most of them are designed to fail short circuit so that the other lamps in the string stay lit. They will eventually burn out if subjected to sufficient current, but it's probably not what you want. The 'fuse bulbs' with the white paint on the end do fail open circuit, but there aren't so many of those around.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 9:05 pm   #7
mhennessy
Dekatron

Of course, you need enough voltage to jump the open circuit and fuse it short. For the Noma lights I use, it's about 100 to 150V - I know this because I run my tree lights from a variac

Looking at the service manual from Hi-Fi Engine, they run from 12V DC (barely smoothed), because all but one of them is switched by a transistor. So that makes an LED mod slightly easier. I'd increase the value of C12, as otherwise they will flicker at 100Hz - though not all would notice or be bothered by that.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 9:36 pm   #8
paulsherwin

In that case, they could actually be 12V bulbs, which will be much easier to find.

I think an LED conversion would be easier and cheaper overall though - easy enough to try with one of them anyway.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 10:34 am   #9
Bookman
Hexode

Many thanks to everyone that has responded. Luckily component costs in this situation are such that they will allow a trial and error exercise without due worries. Perhaps more importantly is the ease of access provided.
Regards
Joe
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 10:58 am   #10
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’m sure I’ve seen those bulb types before, in a car clock that came from a Rover, one where the display was separate from the radio. I just remember the funny little plastic twist holder for the bulb.

Regards
Lloyd

Edit: just found this! You can get drop in LED replacements on the usual auction site, and googling around showed up some proper incandescent bulb versions too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F53BBD6-9748-4BEE-B7AA-AB15EF9DBBB0.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	176951  

Last edited by Lloyd 1985; 23rd Jan 2019 at 11:08 am.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 11:13 am   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

I thought "dashboard lamp" but the low wattage wouldn't fit. I'd go with the LED upgrade. Modern 1/4W resistors are smaller than a 3mm LED, let alone a 5mm one so all very easy to do. It doesn't matter which leg the resistor goes in, but it's worth noting which way round the lights will now have to be fitted. The PCB layout may mean they're not all the same.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 1:35 pm   #12
turretslug
Dekatron

Will the replacement LED types that Lloyd linked to actually need the resistors, or even attention to polarity? I assume that they are made as drop-in replacements for "appliance operators", rather than needing any application of technical awareness, with an integrated bridge and current limiting built-in.

Obviously, a point to check with a sample device and something like a bench PSU!,

Colin
Closed Thread