UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2013, 8:53 pm   #1
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Uninterruptible Power Supply

I was recently given a 1300VA UPS. Manufactured by "Best Power Corporation Inc." the model number is 1.3KVA DWN (UK - 240V version) and built in 1996.

It's in a matt black steel box about the size and proportions of a PC tower (but *considerably* heavier due to the weight of the transformer).

The unit is not responding to treatment i.e. despite 2 x new 12V batteries there are no indications from the front panel and the self-test is inoperative.

Google searching reveals that two company take-overs later (and although the operating manual was fairly easy to get hold of), service information and any relevant circuit diagrams seem to have been 'archived beyond recovery' (for commercial reasons perhaps)

If anyone has experience/knowledge of this or a related beast, I'd be grateful for any help. Seems a shame to relegate it to 'boat-anchor' status ...

[mods, please feel free to relocate this if needs be.]

Thanks in advance

Guy

Last edited by Nymrod121; 30th Sep 2013 at 8:54 pm. Reason: tautology
Old 30th Sep 2013, 9:05 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Uninterruptible Power Supply

Hi,

I repaired a similar inverter a while ago. Luckily, all that was wrong was the on/off switch had gone O/C.

Cheers

Aub
Old 1st Oct 2013, 10:09 am   #3
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Uninterruptible Power Supply

Years ago, we used to get many UPS units for repair. My general experience suggests they are un-repairable unless you are (a) lucky and (b) have manufacturer's service info.
The advice I gave to anybody buying a new one was to REPLACE the batteries as advised by manufacturers.
Generally, these sat under a bench, out of sight, never needing to do anything as there were no mains failures. The batteries ran well past there "replace by" date, after which they started to bulge as they dried out. Then there was a power failure, which they failed to deal with, so they were brought in for repair.
I then offered the choice of buying new batteries, with the probability that they would still not work, or buying a new unit, and ensuring battery replacement when scheduled by manufacturer.
I had one customer who had regular battery change, but most just bought a new one untill it happened again 5 years later.
Les.
Closed Thread