UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 5:31 pm   #1
splintercat
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Black Box

Wow can't believe a forum exists... thank goodness it does too, and this is my very first post.

Just getting back into "vinyl" and already in trouble.

Bought a Pye Black Box, good place to start, and a good price I hope. It has a Garrard deck and in trying to identify it I can't find any numbers or marks, other than the platter is an Autoslim and that the stylus is marked as LP/S ST15 on one side and LP/S on the reverse.

Here's the rub. Is this the correct stylus as I would like to put in a new one initially as I explore, and secondly and more importantly, there is NO CENTRE SPINDLE for the records... The seller did not have one, either a single or multiplay, and was/is using a whittled down improvised piece of WOOD, Ouch Still, I applaud his improvisation skills and it played well enough for me to buy it. So a little help need initially to sort out these problems.
Thank you and any help offered will be truly welcome.
Splintercat
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:02 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Black Box

Hi, as part of your renovations it would pay to have the amp checked over as there are about 5 caps in there that can go leaky and cause expensive damage to the amplifier.
Otherwise they are a nice player.

Ed
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:11 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Splintercat,

You may find the information you need to identify your BB model in this thread.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=137233
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:40 pm   #4
leslie5555
Heptode

Welcome, you have come to the right place, lots of info on here about Pye Black Box record players and lots of people who know all about them.

From the description you give with the autoslim Garrard deck this sounds like its as BB/A version, the one with the four speakers and is the best of the last version with the valve line up before they changed to transistor amps.

As Edward says there are many caps that should be replaced if they haven't already as they may cause very expensive damage to the output transformer .

If you can post some pictures it would be more helpful to identify what you have.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:48 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

No, you're not in trouble, I wish all our problems were as easy to solve as yours!

Firstly, if it says "Autoslim" in the centre of the turntable, then that's the model of the deck. It seems that the original mono cartridge has been replaced with one that will play stereo records without harm, which is a good thing. Click on the link below to find a replacement stylus. As to the spindle, they are not hard to find, try an ad in the "wanted" section of this forum. You can get two spindles for the Autoslim, the tall one for automatic play, and a short one for playing records manually.

Do please take the above advice regarding the replacement of the capacitors. I've seen the result of ignoring it!

https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?...ex&cPath=1_126
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 2:54 pm   #6
splintercat
Retired Dormant Member

Wow.thanks for the welcome and all the information.

The seller of my B/B informs me that he did a service on this two years ago and did indeed change a valve in order to get it working. apart from the spindle it does seem okay.

The capacitor dilemma scares me a little not because of my fear of electrics/electronics nor of my soldering skills but just because this is my first project and I don't wont to botch things. Am going down the get a new stylus/new spindle arms first then after securing the relevant manuals think I will try to strip it down SLOWLY in order to attempt a gentle/sympathetic service.

Will try to stay in touch.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 8:11 pm   #7
splintercat
Retired Dormant Member

Default black box restoration

Am sure that with the little that i have already learnt/gained on this forum that someone somewhere has written/recorded a guide to a restoration/service for the above, if so I would be really interested in reading it for guidance...
Rather than go in head first as I usually do
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 8:31 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

I'm not aware of a restoration guide as such, but using the search button at the top of the page will find many threads about this player.

If you can take a good photograph of the underside of the amplifier chassis it will greatly assist any advice.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 9:24 pm   #9
Half a Mullard
Hexode

There are various versions of the Black Box as others have mentioned. My own version also has the Autoslim deck and uses a pair of PCL83 output valves. Earlier versions used EL42 output valves, if you could post a picture it would help.

Without wanting to pre-empt an identification, this is part of the under chassis of the version I have. I should stress that this is pre restoration.

You mentioned that the seller had stated that the player had been serviced. This may or may not have included the amplifier and it’s very important that certain components are replaced to avoid expensive damage. As Bill has said some good photographs would be a big help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye Black Box.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	160454  
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:39 pm   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have a spare Garrard Autochange spindle, which, AFAIK, came from an Autoslim deck. If 'splintercat' would like it, he can have it for the cost of postage. PM me your address details, Splintercat, and I'll post it on to you.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 5:58 pm   #11
splintercat
Retired Dormant Member

To Livewire.......wow that really is quite courteous of you, am on a few forums, mainly classic mini ones, and I must say my first impression of this one is unbelievably kind an d and generous ..thank you all.
Yes I'd love your spare spindle. I will try and sort out the PM thing now.
Thank you all again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I'm not aware of a restoration guide as such, but using the search button at the top of the page will find many threads about this player.

If you can take a good photograph of the underside of the amplifier chassis it will greatly assist any advice.
Right I will get around to doing that when I get to strip it down.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half a Mullard View Post
There are various versions of the Black Box as others have mentioned. My own version also has the Autoslim deck and uses a pair of PCL83 output valves. Earlier versions used EL42 output valves, if you could post a picture it would help.

Without wanting to pre-empt an identification, this is part of the under chassis of the version I have. I should stress that this is pre restoration.

You mentioned that the seller had stated that the player had been serviced. This may or may not have included the amplifier and it’s very important that certain components are replaced to avoid expensive damage. As Bill has said some good photographs would be a big help.
Yep thanks for the advice I most definately take photos as i begin the restoration/service and can see your point about having them as a reference point when seeking advice...
Closed Thread