UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2017, 5:58 pm   #61
Electrical
Hexode

Default Re: Philips PM5544 Faulty

Hello Skysat2
I would have thought that the signal on Unit 5 terminal 8’ would have given this result. Can you check the signal on Unit 5 terminal 8’ and see what the result is?
Also can you check if any of the signals on Units 4 and 5 tally with the images as indicated on the early type drawings, if they do not then I will have to find another way to try and sort this out.
Regards Stan.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 8:08 pm   #62
skysat2
Tetrode

Hello Stan.

Oops, I'm so sorry, on the Unit 5 Terminal 63' is just a black screen. No horizontal line is there. (I
have misscount the Pins... Sorry for that, my fault!)

On Unit 5 Terminal 8' is this picture:

Regards SkySat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	136492  
Old 25th Jan 2017, 9:54 pm   #63
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
The signals to IC1/1 on unit 5 come from Unit 4 terminal 63’ and Unit 5 terminal 9. However I do not think you will see anything useful at these terminals using the test amplifier, it is possible that IC1/1 (7400) could be faulty. However the signal from Unit 4 terminal 63’ is not used on later drawing for Unit 4.
If you have a spare 7400 you cold try changing IC1/1 on Unit 5.
Leave this problem with me and I will see if I can find some other signals that are available that can be observed with the test amplifier.
Regards Stan.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 10:19 pm   #64
skysat2
Tetrode

Hello Stan.
I've replaced now the IC1 (7400) on Unit 5. Unfortunately still no success...

I'm grateful for further help

Regards Skysat
Old 25th Jan 2017, 10:39 pm   #65
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
I only wish this unit was in front of me, it is proving a bit difficult without being able to follow the signals about the unit. However please leave it with me and I will see if I can find another way of solving this.
Regards Stan.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 10:47 pm   #66
skysat2
Tetrode

Thank you Stan
Old 26th Jan 2017, 8:44 pm   #67
skysat2
Tetrode

Ypppiiieiii!! My PM5544 is working again!!!

I have replaced on Unit 2 the IC18 (7402) & IC16 (7400)

Now, i have to change the Text How do I do that?

Regards SkySat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3830.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	136545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	136546  
Old 26th Jan 2017, 9:37 pm   #68
skysat2
Tetrode

Oh no... After 1 hour the Circle bubble around...

See this Video: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/skysat/pm.mov

What can I do?
Old 26th Jan 2017, 9:40 pm   #69
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
Well done IC16 and IC18 feed the centre line to unit 5 terminal 13’ to Unit 5 IC1/1 the last IC that you changed. This is where I should have started as you suggested. I am so pleased that you have been able to sort it; this will keep another PM5544 running.
To change the text is quite involved if you can tell me what text you want in the upper and lower boxes I will post the service information and some of my crib sheets on how to set the links on the Tele-text board PM5543 Unit 17.
Please find attached a PDF copy of the Teletext board Unit 17.
Regards Stan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philips PM5544 Teletext STS.pdf (294.9 KB, 188 views)
Old 26th Jan 2017, 10:06 pm   #70
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
Please find attached a PDF copy of the settings, to set PAL in the upper box and PM5544 in the lower box.
When you program your text the upper box can have up to 7 characters and the lower box 11 characters, so adjust the text to the approximate centre of the boxes by adding spaces that is no characters. The exact centre of the text can be adjusted with a potentiometer on the Teletext board, but the shift is limited.
If you can tell me what text you want I will try and make a table for you and show you where to solder the links.
Regards Stan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philips PM5544 Teletext Crib Sheet STS.pdf (95.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 27th Jan 2017, 12:23 am   #71
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
I only noticed your second post with the video clip after I had put the information on about the Teletext board. From the clip it looks like the circle generator is being triggered by false Start I and Start II signals from Unit 4 the Vertical Divider PCB. These signals come from two mono-stable multi-vibrators IC9 and IC10 (74121) the timing of these mono-stables is controlled by two potentiometers R8 and R11. If these pots have not been adjusted please do not adjust them at this moment. The input signals come from Unit7 Cross Gate horizontal divider 1.
As both signal I and II are being triggered together it may point to a fault on Unit2 oscillator start stop circuit, which consists of IC15 7410 (Triple three input NAND gate) and IC1 7400. I will have another look at the fault later on and see if there are any other possibilities.
Regards Stan.
Old 27th Jan 2017, 3:48 pm   #72
skysat2
Tetrode

Hello Stan
Thank you very much for the PDF's! I would take also "PAL" in the upper Box, and "PM5544" in the lower Box.

I have now replaced the old Original working IC's from another Board to the Unit 02 to IC18 (7402) & IC16 (7400)
Also i replaced the old Original IC's from Unit 5 to IC18 & IC19.

Until now, the bubbles of the Circle are gone
Old 27th Jan 2017, 4:20 pm   #73
skysat2
Tetrode

Before the PM5544 Unit was working, i have adjust slightly on the potentiometer on the Unit 02 by a Mistake. Is this critical? What should be Display, if i adjust on it?
Old 27th Jan 2017, 10:41 pm   #74
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
I cannot find a pot on Unit 2, the Circle Memory PCB, which pot did you adjust and on which PCB?
It is always wise to mark any pot or take a picture of it before you adjust it, so that you can always put it back to the position it was in. In the case of a multi turn pot always count the number of turns and which direction you are turning and write it down, again so that you can return it to as near as possible to its original position. Some of these adjustments need a lot of test equipment in order to set correctly.
Regards Stan.
Old 28th Jan 2017, 12:06 am   #75
skysat2
Tetrode

Hello Stan.

Its on the Unit 2 at lower Side. A golden screw in a housing. It's not directly a Poti, it's similar. See on the Photo what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	136599  
Old 28th Jan 2017, 12:29 am   #76
karesz*
Heptode

Hali,
Ther is an HF trimmer capacitor-some better quality.
Regards, Karl

Last edited by karesz*; 28th Jan 2017 at 12:41 am.
Old 28th Jan 2017, 12:36 pm   #77
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
I can confirm what Karl (Karesz*) commented, it is a small variable capacitor or trimmer. It is connected in the emitter circuit of Transistors TS1 and TS2, located at the top left-hand side of the drawing of Unit 2. It is used to adjust the 15MHz clock oscillator. The adjustment range is very small and you would need a frequency counter to set it correctly, however if the circle is formed OK and is working leave it alone. There will be a tolerance on the setting of the frequency but I cannot find it at present.
With reference to the Teletext board text setting I will make some tables up in ‘Word’ on how to set the links and some blank tables so that you can record what is there now before you alter anything. Please take a good quality picture of the print side of the Teletext board showing the links as they are now. I suspect from the symbols displayed that there may be a short on one or more links causing the wrong text to be displayed.
Regards Stan.
Old 28th Jan 2017, 4:47 pm   #78
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
Please find attached a Word document of a blank program table and a PDF copy of how to set the upper and lower boxes on your PM5544 to read PAL and PM 5544. If you have time try and work out from the links on the Teletext board what it was originally programmed to display. Please note that the IC’s on the print side of the board are from left to right IC16 to IC21, which is in reverse order to the ROM contents table and my table. I have always found it helpful to mark the positions of the IC’s on the back of the board and mark pin 1 to avoid confusion.
Regards Stan.
Attached Files
File Type: docx PM5544 Text Insert Box Blank..docx (12.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: pdf PM5544 Teletext Table.pdf (44.2 KB, 194 views)
Old 31st Jan 2017, 9:53 pm   #79
skysat2
Tetrode

Hello Stan.

Thank you very much for your PDF in the attachments. But I'm still confused what I should solder.

E.g if I have on lower Box a "0" on IC21, but an "1" in the upper Box on the same IC21 on E4, what should I do? What it means "MSB" and "LSB" ?

At the attachment you find the Photo from the PCB. The Photo is an old one, before I unsolder some connections from the old Text. I want also "PAL" in the upper Box, and "PM 5544" in the lower Box.

Regrads SkySat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3549.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	136775  

Last edited by skysat2; 31st Jan 2017 at 10:19 pm.
Old 1st Feb 2017, 12:36 pm   #80
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Skysat2
You only program the ‘1s’ in the table, the upper and lower box feeds are switched by the logic on the board and are only active when the upper and lower boxes are being scanned. LSB and MSB stand for Least and Most Significant Bit of the binary address word in the table, so that you do not read the binary word the wrong way round.
If you have a look at the sketch of the links I posted earlier, it shows the positions of the links to display PAL and PM 5544. It may be necessary to remove all the links and the plated through connections first and start with a blank board. Then try a link between pin 2 of IC 20 and the upper box select line as shown in the sketch. If you then replace the board in the PM 5544 and switch the text on you should see a P in the upper box, if all is well switch off remove the board a fit the links for the A an L. Then fit all the links for the spaces.
I hope this helps, it is not an easy task to set up the text and it is a long lime since I changed the text on one of these units.
Regards Stan.