UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2013, 7:58 pm   #1
sobell1980
Octode

Default Triplett Valve Tester CPR 6SN7

Could any one tell me if this would be a worth while purchase to add to my kit? Would i need to obtain valve testing data and a manual for it to know what to test the valve at? I know little about valve testers but have restored a few sets such as a roberts rmb and a bush ac34. Wondering if this would be a good addition to expand my kit?
Many thanks,
Dave.
Old 4th Oct 2013, 8:03 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Triplett valve tester cpr 6sn7

Hi Dave, this should work OK for simple checks. Make sure it comes with a manual/ instruction book that has the set up figures.
There are several types of tester like this one that would do equally well for this sort of static test, you can even make up your own from some power supplies.

But why not go the whole hog and build a Sussex, it will give you much more insight into the operation of valves and is a very flexible tester.

Ed
Old 6th Oct 2013, 8:34 pm   #3
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Triplett Valve Tester CPR 6SN7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobell1980 View Post
Could any one tell me if this would be a worth while purchase to add to my kit? Would i need to obtain valve testing data and a manual for it to know what to test the valve at? I know little about valve testers but have restored a few sets such as a roberts rmb and a bush ac34. Wondering if this would be a good addition to expand my kit?
Many thanks,
Dave.
If it's the "thing" on eBay, I would steer clear. It doesn't look like any kind of valve (or tube) tester I've ever seen. The seller doesn't even know what it is.
Triplett made decent tube-testers in the USA, but they are most likely to be emission testers and also work off US mains and generally use lower voltages on the valves than you are likely to meet in a "real" circuit.
Colin.
Closed Thread