UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2013, 11:27 am   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Fluke PM3380A

I've been offered the above 100Mhz 2 channel scope for sale at £125 + £20 P&P so £145 in all, and wondered if it is a worthwhile purchase. I will be using it for hobby purposes and repairs only. This has both an analogue and 'digitizing' mode although being made in 1995, the digital part is probabbly quite basic.

I'm not sure what the secondhand value of such an instrument would be. Fluke instruments are pretty expensive, but this is 18yrs old and as its full of ICs, probably not very serviceable?
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 3:26 pm   #2
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Fluke PM3380A

Much as I am an admirer of Fluke meters, 'scopes were never their thing. Compared with Tektronix, there is a lack of spares from either stock or broken units, and a general shortage of data. Tektronix excel in both respects - their data is world class and readily available.

For the price, performance and application you are looking for, I would go for an analogue Tek, made before their adoption of custom ICs. A 465 would be nice, and would be obtainable for the money, but I find that for most jobs, the 453 is as good, is compact and spectacularly easy to fix. I would avoid the mainframe Teks unless you really need their versatility. The portables are much more useful in practice and are easily taken to a job.

Leon.
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 12:58 pm   #3
mhennessy
Dekatron

I have one of those, and I really like it

OK, the push-button interface isn't quite as nice as a conventional unit with knobs, and for that reason, it's perhaps not best suited to a novice user. But having used scores of 'scopes from all manufacturers over the years, I think that the Philips/Fluke 'scopes are pretty well thought out and very easy to drive once you've got used to them.

Downsides?

There is a cooling fan. It is temperature controlled, but does gradually speed up as you use the unit. It's not terrible, but I prefer convection cooling if possible.

The plastic moulding that forms the front panel is prone to cracking if the scope has been mistreated. I'd check that carefully. Likewise, I've seen them with missing knobs, where people have thrown them about. The metal outer case is aluminium, and can pick up dents - but they are normally pretty easy to knock out.

In terms of reliability and serviceability, I don't think they are any worse than anything else from that period. The construction is modular, and as you'd expect, uses a fair bit of surface-mount. There are a fair few custom ICs, again, as you'd expect. In other words, the same as everyone else's products.

Basically, there's no strong reason to avoid this; it's a matter of personally choice. I'm very pleased with mine. The digital modes are a product of its time: basic, but can be very useful - there's a good range of measurement options when in digital mode. If it comes with the maths option, it'll do rudimentary FFTs. When I bought mine, I was after a decent analogue 'scope with at least 100MHz bandwidth, so I regard the digital stuff as a nice bonus - and have used it more than I thought I might.

I did download the service manual, and it's extremely comprehensive. The only worry is the custom ICs, but whenever I've read about problems with these, it's been the usual PSU and EHT problems which can afflict any 'scope...

If it's in good condition and working perfectly, £125 is a good price.
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 9:41 pm   #4
maninashed
Rest in Peace

I'm a Tek fan, and would agree with Leon. That said, Fluke scopes are basically Philips designs. I had a PM3217 for about 15 years and never had any trouble with it. It had its quirks as they all do, but a very useable reliable tool, but you need to be aware of the mains inlet filter which can go pop unexpectedly. I suppose you 'pays your money, and takes your chances' !
Bill
Closed Thread