UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2018, 11:10 pm   #1
HiFiNick
Diode

Default Garrard 5.300 autochanger

Hi there,
Having recently got the bug for buying and listening to 45's, I decided that I should get an autochanger to play them on just like we had at home 40 years ago.
So I've now gone and got myself a Garrard 5.300. Its just the chassis, its in its original box and its looks like its never been used. When it arrived today my heart said plug it in and give it a go but my head said no. I know I'm going to need to mount it on a plinth with a lid but are there things I need to do and test before I use it? The turntable rotates, the sliders move freely and it has the two spindles. However, there was a small 'c' clip in the box which may be from the unit somewhere, not sure where though! It looks like it has a ceramic cartridge fitted as its one of those which you can rotate for lps and 78s. Will I be able to connect the output to non phono amplifier input?
Any help in getting me started would be appreciated.
I've always had a fascination for autochangers I think they're really clever!
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2804.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	156152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2805.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	156153  
Old 25th Jan 2018, 11:45 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Garrard 5.300 autochanger

If the cartridge is Ceramic it should give a good account of itself via an auxillary input on your amplifier. The term 'Aux-in' basically applies to inputs such as those for tuner, tape deck, CD player, etc., so, at least in theory any of those can be used with a ceramic pickup
Old 26th Jan 2018, 1:09 am   #3
Techman
Dekatron

look after that 'C' clip for the time being as it may be crucial to the operation of the deck, especially if it's the one from the platter spindle.

It may be helpful to know the exact type number of the cartridge - perhaps a close up picture would help.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 5:27 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, you might find that connecting a ceramic the AUX input of your amplifier results in a usable but slightly lacking in Bass output due to an impedance mismatch.
An alternative would be to connect the ceramic cartridge to the RIAA equalised "PHONO" input of your amplifier via a matching pad, often a couple of 470K (or thereabouts) resistors in series with the left and right channel +ve cartridge outputs may suffice.

A fancier circuit is shown here if adding series resistors doesn't produce the desired results via the phono input.

Regards

Andrew
Old 28th Jan 2018, 12:25 am   #5
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Lots in the Vinyl Engine Garrard room about these Unimech decks. Grease goes gummy as on all Garrards post early 60's and plastic parts can break if forced. The mech is also not the easiest to work on, so please try not to break anything before the poor thing has ever been used.

Preamps for 'pickups' offering around 1M impedance are available. The low input impedance of an amp 'Aux' input is a sonic disaster - I speak from experience...

Dave
Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:14 pm   #6
HiFiNick
Diode

Hi all. Firstly, many thanks to all who posted helpful tips to my first message.

I've now got my autochanger mounted on a wooden plinth, with a perspex lid and some connections on the back. All works mechanically which is a relief. However, I now need some help with the output signal.

I'm using an Arcam Alpha 6 amplifier and I'm experiencing problems with the autochanger output, as previous posts have already highlighted to me that I might. I've established that the cartridge is a KS40A which seems a pretty good ceramic unit.

So....

If I connect it to the Aux input, the output is too quiet and lacking bass. If I carefully connect it to the Phono input there's a loud hum present all the time (with and without a ground) and the output is too loud.

Where should I go from here? As I'm not an electronics person, is there a ready made circuit out there which I can buy which will solve my problem? Which will be the best route to go - Phono? or Auxiliary?

Hopefully someone out there can help me.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garrard-1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	160675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garrard-2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	160676  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 11:10 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

See andy's post #4 ;-)
Old 9th Apr 2018, 10:15 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Looking at the OP's photos above, the deck transit screws appear not to have been released.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 10:56 am   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As Edward has pointed out, the transit screws should be screwed fully downwards so that the deck floats on its springs when playing records.
Old 16th Apr 2018, 8:44 pm   #10
HiFiNick
Diode

Ooops I must remember to do this - I was probably too excited to get it up and running that I forgot to do it!
I'm dusting off my soldering iron and I'm going to make up a couple of the fancier circuits as highlighted by Andy.
I'll keep you posted on progress.
Nick
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:50 pm   #11
HiFiNick
Diode

Hi all,
I've got the Garrard up and running and I'm using a Line Phono Adaptor which I bought off Amazon. It works really well and the sound is great.
The only issue I have with the deck is that when its finished playing the last record in the stack instead of the arm returning to the rest and the platter stopping the arm returns back to the record and then the platter stops.
I've checked the grease lubrication where I can and its not gone hard, probably due to the fact that when I bought it, it was still wrapped up in it's original plastic bag.
Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I could do to fix it would be appreciated.
Nick
Old 20th Jun 2018, 9:25 am   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The reason is likely to be that the mechanism "thinks" that there is another record on the stack, hence it returning the arm to play. So make sure that the overarm is pushed firmly down on top of the stack.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 6:12 pm   #13
qualityten
Octode

Glad to see you've got this going. That's a really nice plinth you made for it.
Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:32 pm   #14
HiFiNick
Diode

Thanks for the tip Edward - this does make a difference as it now works perfectly.
My neighbour made the plinth for me and I think it looks really good too.
The sound is amazing. I've got it hooked up to my old NAD 3020 Amp and a pair of Castle Yorks. It plays my 20p singles great.
I'm really pleased I took a bit of a risk when I bought it!
Many thanks for the tips in helping me getting it up and running
Nick
Old 13th Jul 2018, 12:15 pm   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Glad to hear. Assume you have this now playing throught the Aux/Line In sockets on your good old NAD.
Old 13th Jul 2018, 12:56 pm   #16
Station X

The NAD 3020 has a Phono input.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th Jul 2018, 1:32 pm   #17
Reelman
Octode

That is a very nice plinth Nick, your neighbour could make a living out of making those!
May I ask where the cover and hinges came from? Were they new or rescued from some old kit?
Thanks,
Peter
Old 15th Jul 2018, 2:10 pm   #18
HiFiNick
Diode

Hi all,
I'm using the NAD phono input with a Monacor Line-Phono-Adapter which I bought off Amazon.
When I used the phono direct the signal was too strong and when I used the Aux In the sound was low and rubbish. The set-up as I have it seems to work great.
The lid and hinges I acquired off Ebay.
My neighbour is a retired cabinet maker and he made this for me as a favour.
Nick
Closed Thread