UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2018, 9:12 pm   #1
skyking_comms
Tetrode

Default Shorrock Clubman Clean

Hi,

I'm looking for a cleaning product that I can use on an old Shorrock Clubman that's now in my possession.

I've tried warm soapy water and a toothbrush but it's done little to get into the dirt that has built up over the last 50+ years. I'd like to get the cream colour looking good again.

Thanks,

Darren
www.raf-fairford.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_181632 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	234
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	161248  
Old 16th Apr 2018, 9:56 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Shorrock Clubman Clean

I must say that doesn't look too bad. There will always be degradation when fabrics have sat around in kitchens and smoky rooms for 50 years. UV light causes colour changes too.

A good starting point is aerosol foaming cleanser. They all seem pretty similar and I use the one sold in Aldi and Lidl as a bathroom cleaner. Spray it on, leave it for 5 minutes, work it in with a toothbrush if the dirt is really stubborn, then wipe it off with a soft rag.

There are no hard and fast rules though, and everyone will have their own favourite method.
Old 16th Apr 2018, 11:15 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Oh, there's an interesting sight - new to me, but clearly an adaptation of the Perdio PR100

http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/vie...php?f=3&t=6588

just as the Shorrock Mk V

https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/r..._v_1973258.jpg

was a modified Decca TP85

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/decca_tp85tp_8.html .

(A bit off-topic, that, but helpful I hope as the Perdio model seems not to have been identified before as the Clubman's begetter).

As Paul has said, this set looks reasonably presentable already. I've not had a PR100 - there aren't that many around - and would hesitate to advise on further cleaning without knowing the particular covering: some can all too easily drift toward becoming a mess of tangled threads if soaked a little too long and/or scrubbed at a mite too vigorously, and that surface texture doesn't appear especially resilient.

Last edited by Paul_RK; 16th Apr 2018 at 11:43 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 10:10 am   #4
camtechman
Nonode

I use Halfords (own brand) foam upholstery cleaner
Old 17th Apr 2018, 5:25 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

My Pam 720 has a similar finish and I was bored 2 Christmases ago so I cleaned it. The only thing that worked was Cillit Bang lime & grime and it had to be left on for a while.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 7:29 pm   #6
skyking_comms
Tetrode

I've created a webpage on the early 1960's Airband radio's. http://www.raf-fairford.co.uk/vintage-airband
I have a Gauers 6221 (US model), Shorrock Mk V and the Clubman. I do have a Decca TP85 which I'm keeping as a donor radio in the event that I get the Mk V serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
I use Halfords (own brand) foam upholstery cleaner
I think I have some of this in a cupboard - will give it a try!
Old 18th Apr 2018, 12:04 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

I have used alloy wheel cleaner spray on quite a few items.. It is of the foaming type.
Old 18th Apr 2018, 5:36 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Alloy wheel cleaner is often quite acidic, so it's definitely a case for trying it on somewhere which doesn't show and thinking about washing it off afterwards. Its normal job is to dissolve particles of iron which were once part of brake discs. The pump-spray-bottle liquids are quite fierce.

David
Old 18th Apr 2018, 2:29 pm   #9
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I'd try some Windex on a soft cloth and or with a brush, it is fairly benign and has a trace of copper sulphate that inhibits the growth of fungi too, that is if the Zeiss Optical engineer who told me this was correct. Once it is cleaner you could then protect it with automotive ArmorAll, which is a silicone product designed to protect vinyl from UV and drying/cracking.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 4:47 am   #10
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Hi Darren

Foam cleaner should do it. I use Servisol but they are all pretty similar. Be careful near any lettering as it can be quite aggressive. Incidentally I have a Shorrock Mk V in for repair and restoration at the moment that featured in this article http://derbosoft.proboards.com/threa...960s-pic-heavy so I may contact you for some internal closeups when I get around to starting on it.

Regards

Graham
Closed Thread