UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2006, 9:51 am   #1
hmv1944
Tetrode

Default Filling worm holes in lacquered cabinet

I have a 1939 HMV radiogram (fairly plain veneered ply case) with a considerable number of worm holes showing which will need filling with something of a colour close to that of the wood.

It will be treated liberally with worm killer before the lacquer is stripped off; the lacquer will need to come off as there are several patches where the finish has been scratched off in the past. What would be best to fill in the worm holes before respraying?

The machine is only labelled as "Special Model" but has the chassis of an HMV436 complete with original turntable and pickup. The electrics are now working and sound quite nice. The valves all look original and the short wave is particularly lively (with a nice long wire!)

Alan..

Last edited by Darren-UK; 29th Aug 2007 at 12:49 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 9th May 2006, 11:08 am   #2
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Filling worm holes in lacquered cabinet

Hi Alan, I was wondering if re-veneering is possible. I've used this method twice in the past on badly infected areas.Of course if it is a very large area then that option would probably not be practical. I've used a suitably coloured candle,melted in a bowl in the microwave and poured on and worked in with a filling knife. The end result was satisfactory but the job is very messy and time consuming.

Perhaps you could post photos as i'm a gram fan.

Kind regards, Colin. <ekcobeach>

Last edited by Darren-UK; 29th Aug 2007 at 12:43 pm. Reason: Radiogram values not relevant.
Old 9th May 2006, 4:50 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Alan, better than candlewax is the modern version of cabinetmaker's Beaumontage, in the form of wax sticks available in a variety of timber shades from some DIY stores and from Axminster (www.axminster.co.uk). This can be melted into the holes using a soldering iron or match. One type even softens sufficiently in the fingers to become malleable enough to push into holes. These wax materials are intended to be used on existing finishes, not before refinishing takes place.
-Tony
Old 9th May 2006, 4:51 pm   #4
hmv1944
Tetrode

Here are some pictures of the HMV "Special Model":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front-view-of-cabinet.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	3692   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear-view.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	3693   Click image for larger version

Name:	tuning-scale-&-push-buttons.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	3694   Click image for larger version

Name:	View-of-turntable.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	3695  
Old 9th May 2006, 5:41 pm   #5
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

I see what you mean about the "tenants". Charge the little rent. Seriously though, it's worth saving and doing it up can only make it worth more and preserve another gram. Those coloured wax sticks sound like an excellent idea but would take a long time to do. Perhaps you could adapt them to fit in one of those heated glue guns, just another crazy idea.

Regards Colin. <ekcobeach>

Last edited by Darren-UK; 29th Aug 2007 at 12:47 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 9th May 2006, 9:03 pm   #6
lesbuist
Retired Dormant Member

There are several methods of filling holes and you should try a test of any method in a less visable area. Wax sticks are more for repairs were you are not restripping. There are arange of wood fillers and stoppers available from DIY places if you use tubes of filler by Joy fill holes in morning and sand in the afternoon if you leave overnight it gets rock hard +++.
A old method we used at school many years ago was to mix sawdust with a clear wood adhesive cascamite a modern substitute wod be pva glue just sand or saw some part of the cabinet inside to get the dust.

Les
Old 10th May 2006, 7:57 pm   #7
Aerodyne
Octode

Unfortunately mixing sawdust with glue is a messy method when dealing with such small holes and can damage existing surface - but OK if you decide to strip and refinish. However you won't get wood of the correct shade by attacking the inside of a veneered cabinet as this will be plywood, probably Birch, very light in tone, not the quality external veneer colour. As far as wood fillers go, Ronseal high performance wood filler is the best, I consider. It is a two part filler that sets hard in less than ten minutes, after which it can be sanded, drilled, shaped. It can be tinted with stain but this is a tricky thing to do without adding stain to the surrounding wood by leaching from the filler. Finally, aerosol toner can help cover blemishes such as filled wormholes, after which lacquer spraying can complete the illusion.
-Tony
Old 11th May 2006, 11:47 am   #8
Ghostuser
Pentode

Hi,
I go with the recommendation to use wood filler after stripping. I prefer to use the 'natural' shade of filler and then paint each filled hole with a dot of suitably mixed paint. Yes, it takes time and will still not make the panel look undamaged when viewed from every angle, but it ain't bad from a distance.
Good luck and you are right to save that gram.
Nigel
Old 14th May 2006, 12:11 am   #9
mdonohoe
Diode

I used Liberon Retouch Crayons on woodworm holes in a Pye.You don't need any heat and I made sure it went in to the hole using an awl.These crayons come in a variety of colours and they harden and then buff up nicely.I was very happy with the results and you would be hard put to see evidence of the holes now.They are advertised as suitable for filling in woodworm holes.
Closed Thread