UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2006, 7:00 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Removal of factory-applied paint from bakelite.

Hello,

I am on the final part of my second valve radio restoration, this time a Bush VHF80C. This model has a pale grey painted front, and mine has quite a bit of paint missing So I intend to airbrush a new coat of enamel paint over the front, but not until I have either rubbed down the existing paint with wet and dry (and I dont think that would work well) or to scrape off the paint (take ages) or use paint stripper to soften it and to then remove it (might also soften the bakelite surface as well). Which is the best method ? And does Nitromors damage bakelite ? Thanks.

Howard
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 7:11 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Paint removal from bakelite ?

I usually use warm soapy water but some people have had problems with this causing the Bakelite to lose its sheen. I think the consensus is that a mild paint stripper is the best option. It won't take long as there is only a thin layer of paint, so expect it to be shorter than the times on the tin.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 7:16 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Nitromors doesn't really hurt bakelite. As Paul says, the paint will sometimes lift off with a good soaking in warm washing up water, but this is less likely with factory applied paint.

Purists will argue that you shouldn't use anything water based on bakelite. This is probably true in an ideal world, but you have to get the paint off somehow.

Good luck, Paul
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 7:23 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

I've had good results with Nitromors, though sometimes paint can be the devil to shift even with this 'potent' stripper. I doubt you'll harm the Bakelite. I personally don't like the idea of soaking the stuff because any existing surface degradation might allow the ingress of water which can swell the wood flour or other filler used, resulting in lighter patches and/or blistering.
-Tony
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 7:45 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Thanks chaps,

I will try and scrape it off first with my thumbnail, cos I think thats the method likely to do the least damage, it doesnt take much effort and Im only going to remove those areas which are flaky before painting. But if it looks like it will take too long then I will use nitromors and scrape it off quickly.

Howard
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 7:58 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The problem if you only remove the flaking bits is that the edges of the old paint will show through the new paint. Rather like when you paint a wall in your house, the edges of any filler or old wallpaper show unless you spend ages sanding it really smooth. Spray paint is thinner than emulsion too. You need to get a good smooth finish before spray-painting, and just removing the flaking bits won't achieve that.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 8:31 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello Paul,

The entire area from end to end of the panel where there is flaking will be cleaned off, right to the edges .. I'm well aware that any existing paint left on a panel will be noticeable. When I used to restore cars I would sand blast off all old paint on an entire panel right back to bare metal !

Howard
Old 28th Apr 2006, 10:01 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Lightbulb Re: Paint removal from bakelite ?

I acquired the painted bakelite Marconi TD15A you see in my avatar in very badly scratched and chipped condition.

If most of the paint finish is sound, rather than remove all the paint, sand it down using wet and dry. Then, using aerosol spray paint, spray a little into the lid of the spray can and apply it to the scratches using a small artist's brush. The aim is to fill any pits or scratches, coat by coat, till they are slightly proud of the existing paint. When thoroughly dry (24 hours) use wet and dry sandpaper over the whole surface. Repeat the process if any scratches are still visible. When you're completely happy that the scratches and chips have been filled and sanded dead level with the surface, apply your spray paint in thin coats as normal. I was delighted with the results on my set.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 29th Apr 2006, 8:20 pm   #9
howard
Nonode

Hello,

Here is the VHF80C with all grey paint where it matters stripped off. Bakelite is indeed unaffected by Nitromors. So no need to rub down any paint, cos its all gone

I'll finish the case tomorrow once Ive got the masking tape on properly (not easy on this one) and then the airbrush.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BushVHF80Cstripped.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	3546  
Old 30th Apr 2006, 3:25 pm   #10
PaulR
Dekatron

I know it's a bit late for this thread, but I have removed layers of household paint from black bakelite telephone junction boxes by soaking in a strong ammonia solution. This works very well for grotty brass parts as well - it is an old clock repairers trick. I dont know whether the bakelite used for the junction boxes is unusually high quality, but it comes up nice and shiny.

I realise that a large radio cabinet may be too big for this treatment but it works on smaller items.

Paul
Closed Thread