UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2006, 3:43 pm   #1
steve1811uk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rexine - Paper or Linen backed

Hi, I want to re-cover a Roberts R200 and wonder what type of Rexine to use. I have seen two types offered by Sidney Chaplin described as paper backed and linen backed. Does anyone have any experience with these ? Or does anyone have an alternative source for the rexine. Ideally I would like to use real leather but I guess it would have to be very thin and I've no idea where to get that from. What type of glue can I use ? All help much appreciated.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Aug 2007 at 12:30 am. Reason: Created link.
Old 21st Mar 2006, 4:13 pm   #2
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Rexine - Paper or Linen backed

I'd suggest you ask Sid he probably knows more about it than anyone else

Mike
Old 21st Mar 2006, 4:26 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Paper backed material has the advantage that is is easy to glue and resists creasing to some extent. I've used it with PVA (woodwork, white) adhesive.
I think Mike's got a point, though. Safest bet is to ask Sid.
-Tony
Old 21st Mar 2006, 5:04 pm   #4
steve1811uk
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies. Does the paper backed stuff have the same look of the original Roberts covering ? Has anyone used linen backed Rexine ?

Steve
Old 21st Mar 2006, 6:19 pm   #5
ronbryan
Octode

Hi Steve

I've recently used linen backed black Rexine from Sid Chaplin (style B) to re-cover a replacement panel on a '70s guitar amplifier. The material is about 10 thou thick.

I used a spray on contact adhesive (toluene solvent, I think) used by the motor trimming trade. The Rexine was able to be pulled round corners with a 1.5" radius without puckering.

On the reverse side of the panel, where it was trimmed and folded over and did not show, there was some slight evidence of the solvent softening the Rexine, so that when the fabric was rolled flat the linen backing started to push through. Maybe I sprayed on too much adhesive, because the front face did not have this problem.

I have looked at the covering on my Roberts Junior valve portables (early fifties) and they seem to be covered with linen backed Rexine.

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 21st Mar 2006 at 6:29 pm.
Old 21st Mar 2006, 7:17 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you contact Sid he will probably send you a couple of small samples so you can have a look for yourself. He is very helpful and approachable.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 9:28 am   #7
steve1811uk
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone. I contacted Sid and he will send me a few samples soon. Best regards, Steve.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 9:26 am   #8
steve1811uk
Retired Dormant Member

I received some samples from Sid. I believe the most suitable will be the linen backed stuff as the paper backed has a tendency to tear when you try to go round a tight radius. Steve.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 9:38 am   #9
ronbryan
Octode

Hi Steve

You may find that warming the rexine with a little heat from a hair dryer can assist pulling the material around corners.

Ron
Closed Thread