UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2006, 7:04 pm   #1
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Default Marconiphone 567 radiogram; keep original ?

Hello all,
I am about to restore this lovely set but I am in a bit of a dilema! The turntable that is fitted is 78 rpm only and is totaly origional. I would like to replace this with something more useable (33, 45 & 78). if I did this carefully would it spoil the collectable status of the set
As it is the tone arm fitted weighs an awfull lot & uses steel needles. This would no doubt wear away 78s after very few plays.
Any suggestions would be greatfully received.
Thanks all.
Paul.
Old 24th Mar 2006, 7:12 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconiphone 567 console radiogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee99
if I did this carefully would it spoil the collectable status of the set?
Yes, most definitely.

But, there would be no harm in fitting a modern deck at all so long as the radiogram can be restored to its original status later, i.e. you keep the original deck somewhere safe, and preferably, don't have to cut the wooden board into which it fits.

Nick.
Old 24th Mar 2006, 7:42 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Paul,
As Nick says it is ok to fit a later deck to make your super gram suitable to play the later records providing you dont cut the cabinet or motorboard. Construct a new motorboard as a complete item and drop it in.
Just for your information. Providing the DAMPING on your pick up is in good order [Easily replaced] you will not wear out your 78's even with steel needles providing they are of good quality. I have played 78's with heavy sound boxes for years, some very heavy recordings and after many plays have noticed little if any damage. Most of these recordings were played on 'record scrunchers' and are usually in perfect conditions. Most records were either sat on or damaged with heat. It would be nice to hear the gram in its original form. You will be amazed by the quality. Regards John.
Old 25th Mar 2006, 4:44 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hello all,

Just voicing my agreement with John's comments here. Very few 78s, perhaps mostly some classical releases, will have been bought and played not at all or only once or twice: most will have been played repeatedly already on instruments such as yours. Except for a few I have that show very little wear indeed, I'm happy to play most of my own when the inclination arises on an acoustic Columbia Grafonola with steel needles, and have yet to feel that any are much the worse even after decades.

One common hint when it came to using steel needles was to run the needle for a few seconds in the record's run-off groove before playing, because the worst of the damage done by the needle occurs when it's brand new with whatever imperfections are left by the manufacturing process. If you've any doubt of this, just listen to the very hardest-worked 78 you can find, and what you'll usually hear will be music emerging only after about twenty seconds of complete mush produced by freshly made needles.

Paul
Old 25th Mar 2006, 10:26 am   #5
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the advice everyone; I will have a new motor board cut to fit when I find a multi speed gram' deck that will blend in & look period. I will retain the origional Marconiphone 78 only mechanism on it's board safely so it can be put back anytime.
Thanks all,
Paul.
Closed Thread