UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2006, 9:38 pm   #1
af024
Octode

Unhappy Repro capacitor labels.

There has been some interest for the artwork, so I've PDF'ed it so that people have a better change of opening it (I used Lotus Freelance). Some of the notes around the edges (that I put there to help me) have fallen off the edges, but I think that the labels themselves have survived ok. I just hope that the scaling has been preserved. If I recall, I used a guillotine and cut just fractionally inside the lines. I left enough length to allow several wrapping turns to get up the original diameter (once dipped in wax - so you have to make a little guess - I think the wax added something like 0.5mm - 1mm on the diameter). Some labels look weird in as much as the stripes appear on the opposite side to others. This is exactly how they were on my original caps, so I put my disguised ones with the stripes facing exactly the same way as I found the originals in my sets. On one of them - probably the big beast used on the top deck of a TV22/24, I had to build the label around a stuffed toilet roll holder (or some such) to get the diameter up the correct size. Most others seems to go ok without stuffing. Use Pritt stick glue to get the label to stick to the capacitor (and itself when you wrap it). I used a cream-type paper and orangey-coloured candle wax from the Pound Shop (yes, scented - boy does it stink!!). I found that you can get the wax up to an appropriate dipping temperature by placing it into a metal container which is sitting in a pan of hot water (a bit like when you mum used to melt chocolate), BUT I found that I needed to raise the temperature up a bit above 100 deg C. I did this by saturating the water with loads of salt. Three dips into the wax did the trick (reversing the orientation each tip). Dip with straightened legs. In between dips you can stick it vertically into the end of a kitchen roll (as a temporary holder whilst it tries). When bending legs (to insert the component in the set), you have to support the wax ends else it will crack. Don't worry too much though because when you solder them into the set, the heat down the leg tends to put it right.

Best of luck - it is rather time-consuming and you'll fill the house up with scented candle wax fumes!

Oh, one final note, if you are going to tackle the sets listed on the labels, then you may need to look on every page to get everything that you need. One word though, the caps I did for the KB Toaster were 'invented' from labels I'd previously created since my set had none fitted at all when I bought it. It may well be that KB Toasters never had TCC caps in them ever! All other labels (for the sets in question) are bang on.

Happy fiddling.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCCCapacitorLabels.pdf (26.0 KB, 1137 views)
Closed Thread