UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2018, 7:24 am   #21
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Old catalogues -- worth keeping?

I wish I had kept our old Radiospares catalogues from the '50s. I used to go to their trade counter at Maple Terrace in 1954.

Peter
Old 21st May 2018, 7:54 am   #22
FIXITNOW
Octode

Yes cats can be pain to scan but if you are only going to bin them, you can always slice of the pages so can feed in. Lots of books are done this way as quick if scanner hopper feed.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 4:12 am   #23
ortek_service
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymrod121 View Post
I've scanned the original Ambit catalogues (not the Cirkit ones) into PDF format so if anyone here has need ...
I recently found that some of the early Ambit publications can be downloaded from here: http://usp.net/ambit/
Which appears to have been done by one of the founders of Ambit

I was thinking of scanning some of my Ambit / Cirkit / Bonex etc. catalogues, if I couldn't find them already done elsewhere, as they contained a lot of useful component data that was difficult to find elsewhere
Old 5th Aug 2018, 4:38 am   #24
ortek_service
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
Cut the spine off the book without damaging the pages ( big electric paper guillotine ) and run it through the scanner. It will still miss some pages that "stick together".
The Fujitsu ScanSnap sheetfeeding scanners (and probably a few others) have had Ultrasonic multisheet feed detection for a long time now, which seems to work quite well in detecting if two pages are stuck together.
They're a bit expensive new, but can probably get them off an online auction site quite cheap - especially the less common models, and I got a network version for less than the standard ones and a 1/20 of the price new.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 11:29 am   #25
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Maplin catalogues from the golden years ARE databooks, as they used to have, at a minimum, the internal layout / pinouts of all the common 74xx and 4xxx series logic ICs, and also very often the application diagrams for linear devices like audio amplifier ICs and so on. I only have three kept from over the years, but I will be keeping them for the forseeable future.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 1:02 pm   #26
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Incidentally, I have kept the lot.... I've now got 2 bookshelves full of catalogues -- RS, Farnell, Maplin, Cirkit, Home Radio, Henry's Radio, Sasco, Tandy, Electroplan, Heathkit, MK etc, etc, etc.

There were some duplicates, mostly Tandy. I'll make a list of what I have over and offer them on the appropriate place here.
Old 7th Sep 2018, 3:56 pm   #27
Vectamart
Pentode

I find that some of these publications are not only very nostalgic but also very useful when trying to track down new old stock components required for vintage TV restorations. I have several Willow Vale catalogues from the 1980s, as well as CES (more latterly Philips Service) catalogues. I certainly would never contemplate disposing of them.
Closed Thread