UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2022, 12:50 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Sony CF-580

I have this mid 70's top end Sony boombox, which comes from the late Keith Moon's stash. It is US spec mains but I managed to power it up via the 12V battery compartment. It all works aside from the cassette which runs but emits a loud buzz from the speakers

My question, how does one get the board out, the myriad of cable interconnects are so short that it will only lift an inch or so

The service PDF exceeds the size limit to upload but it is available from 'Tanya'

many thanks
Old 31st Aug 2022, 3:05 pm   #2
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Re: Sony CF-580

Got it, read the manual = remove the function switch
Old 1st Sep 2022, 5:03 pm   #3
ITAM805
Nonode

Hi folks, any Sony old timers in the house?

I found the buzzing sound was/is related to these pair of big slide switches which are for record/playback, which appears to respond to cleaner but when pushing them down (they are sprung loaded upwards) an almighty racket comes from the speakers. When reassembling I'm unsure of how the metal prong/tangs are supposed to sit in relation the nylon end caps (arrowed), they dont fit in the holes as they too wide. I presume the tang thing should press down on the switch when the record button is pressed, but it's not touching the button mechanism?

Just to add to the fun, my PDF reader is playing up on this diagram, when on the page 0-116 depicting this arrangement, if I try to enlarge it it either jumps to another page or shrinks down to minimum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020101.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	264079   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020099.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	264080  
Old 1st Sep 2022, 5:48 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,

I think your guess is right, the prong things should just sit above the switches, and only come into contact with them when record is pressed, hopefully pressing them all the way down.

Just had a look at the manual, and it opens ok here, what program are you using to open it? If on windows 10 you can use Edge to view PDF’s, might be worth a try?

Regards
Lloyd
Old 1st Sep 2022, 6:02 pm   #5
ITAM805
Nonode

Many thanks Lloyd, when I tried to reassemble it the prongs sat below the top of the switches which didn't look right. I shall have another go.

Thanks for the Edge tip too

PS I'm using Foxit reader
Old 1st Sep 2022, 8:50 pm   #6
ITAM805
Nonode

It seems that the prong thing isn't moving, the mech at the back (not very clear pic) is jammed up and I cant see how to free it up? Looks like I may have to strip it down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020103.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	264092  
Old 5th Sep 2022, 7:49 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Is the mech a lock to stop recording on tapes with the tab out? If so there may be a fiendish linkage to under where the tape sits. If you look at the back of the prongs there is what looks like a twist lock.

Andy.
Old 5th Sep 2022, 11:12 am   #8
ITAM805
Nonode

Thanks Andy. A fiendish linkage, yes it is, my heart sank when I looked inside, but luckily I managed to free it up with a small screwdriver, a little at first then with some light lube it moved freely, a mega relief let me tell you! The tape now plays and records perfectly

Many thanks
Closed Thread