UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2022, 5:28 pm   #1
Valvepower
Octode

Default That smell...!

I’ve a bit of strange question…

I’ve an amplifier chassis removed from a cabinet which has been stored in what I think was a damp cellar or suchlike.

The problem is the amplifier now has that musty stale smell one gets when something has been stored in an old damp room or cellar. I call this smell the "kept in the damp cupboard under the sink smell"

Any idea for removing this smell from the amplifier, apart from giving it a wipe clean with some detergent and leaving it in a well ventilated dry warm room to let the smell leach away.

I’ll probably discard the cabinet (which is now sitting in now dry garage) but I’ll see how it goes with the smell.

Regards
Terry
Old 3rd May 2022, 6:07 pm   #2
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: That smell...!

In a sealed box with an Ozone generator? They are great for getting smells out of things though I don't know if ozone is damaging to electrical stuff.
Old 3rd May 2022, 6:08 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

I had a similar problem with a Pye TV I rescued....and this one had been stored in an unheated spare room for 20 odd years. Everything had that damp smell about it....I'm surprised the LOPT survived. Vacuuming the dust didn't really do much. Once I'd got it into a position to actually apply mains, the smell was even worse! However it did start to clear with some use. Once it had a watchable picture and I was reasonably sure nothing nasty was going to happen, I just left it running and the smell gradually dissipated. 15 years later....not a trace
Old 3rd May 2022, 6:34 pm   #4
paulsherwin

You could try spraying it with Febreze.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Febreze
Old 3rd May 2022, 6:55 pm   #5
Superscope
Octode

The Smell will go on it's own eventually, once it is in
a dry and warm environment and preferably being used.

The Dryer and Warmer the better.

That assumes of course, it has been cleaned well, so all the
Dust and grime is removed.

Could take a year or more worst case, or with luck, only a
couple of weeks, really depends on how much moisture it has
absorbed over the years.

Ian
Old 3rd May 2022, 7:24 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

As summer approaches it may be possible to de-stinkify the amplifier by leaving it on the back seat of the car on hot days, with the windows cracked open a third of an inch. In respect of the cabinet (as opposed to the amp proper) this may of course make it warp. An old piece of bedsheet over it will mitigate this.

Febreze is quite a clever product...i don't know how it works, but it does.

Dave
Old 3rd May 2022, 7:46 pm   #7
JonSnell
Hexode

I was given an ancient Vortexion amplifier back some 30 years ago and placed the stinky amplifier in my dad's greenhouse alongside the tomato plants.
After a month, the tomatoes were unaffected and the amplifier smelt pleasant again, with a feint whiff of tomatoes.
If only I still owned it ...
Old 3rd May 2022, 8:56 pm   #8
Tractionist
Heptode

Yep - Ultra violet light and gentle warmth + some air changes: AKA 'Summer sunshine' (but don't let it overheat or 'bake').
Old 4th May 2022, 5:42 pm   #9
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Many thanks for all the replies.

It all makes sense and I’ll keep it in a utility room which has radiator and quite a few windows so the combination of the heat and the summer (?) sun coming in the windows will help reduce the smell over time.

I will get SWMBO to get some Febreze and I’ll wipe it down with that - it’s worth a try prior to putting it in the utility room.

…However, there is now the problem persuading SWMBO it’s a good idea to have a ‘smelly’ amplifier in the utility room

Regards
Terry
Old 4th May 2022, 5:58 pm   #10
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Febreze is excellent but is meant to be sprayed onto fabric until just damp. I believe the equivalent for killing smells in spaces such as rooms, is Neutradol. This is a gel which slowly evaporates from its tub. Perhaps use this in a large cupboard etc containing the offending items. It is not expensive from say Tesco.
Old 4th May 2022, 6:28 pm   #11
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I experienced this with some computers that I had put into store in the back room of a friend’s industrial building. (As the existing machine running the ancient software failed I brought another one into use until I eventually ran out.) Kept in the spare room and with occasional use the smell soon disappeared.
Old 4th May 2022, 7:14 pm   #12
The Philpott
Dekatron

Neutradol is also available as an aerosol, i found it's smell was not too overpowering.
Dave
Old 4th May 2022, 7:56 pm   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'd clean it and put it out in the open on clear, sunny and windy days and see what happens. I think the smell will fade quite quickly given an opportunity for it to be purged by clean fresh air.
Old 5th May 2022, 8:29 am   #14
Andrew2
Nonode

At Rochdale rally some years ago there was a bloke flogging piles of connectors and adaptors, leads etc. The stench of 'old cellars' and possibly rotting animals was strong to say the least. However, he had some good stuff so I bought what I needed and put them in a spare bag and knotted it up for the trip home.
As soon as I got home I emptied the contents into a plastic box and liberally sprayed them with isopropyl (I have a large pump dispenser which i use for cleaning my electric razor etc) and let it stand overnight with the lid on.
Next morning on opening the box there was only the faintest whiff, but I gave the contents another spray anyway and the next day there was no trace of the smell at all. I then left the box without its lid in the sunshine for the rest of the day.
Old 5th May 2022, 1:24 pm   #15
Valvepower
Octode

I was in town this morning and I pooped into Savers and got one of those Neutradol thingys.

As you’ll see from the picture its not that large and it will easily go in hefty plastic bag or even a bigger Really Useful box, so I can pop the amp along with the Neutradol thingy in either of these and put it in the Utility room to see how it goes.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4053.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	256657  
Old 5th May 2022, 1:54 pm   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

"I pooped into Savers and got one of those Neutradol thingys" - comical slip of the pen there..
Old 5th May 2022, 3:52 pm   #17
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Are Savers now complaining about a smell?
Old 5th May 2022, 3:53 pm   #18
Valvepower
Octode

Ah, to use the Monty Python… Word Association Football

You could say it smells a tad poop like Anyway, it brought smile to my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
"I pooped into Savers and got one of those Neutradol thingys" - comical slip of the pen there..
Old 5th May 2022, 4:43 pm   #19
Valvepower
Octode

What started off as a smelly amp is now a smell in Savers…

Viz…
There's a smell in my amplifier, dear Liza, dear Liza
And now a smell in Savers, dear Liza, dear Liza etc., etc.

Anyway, its good to have laugh now and then!

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
Are Savers now complaining about a smell?
Old 5th May 2022, 4:57 pm   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

Just a thought Terry, the smell will be emanating from the surface of the amp and whatever detritus is languishing there; moulds, dust, dirt etc. So basically you're going to have to undertake a certain amount of cleaning, as much as you can, as the smell is going to be hard to shift just by ventilation and the use of masking agents. A friend of mine (a member on here) uses spray aluminium wheel cleaner on them then totally submerses the whole chassis in water and/or a hose down to quickly get rid of the cleaner (do not leave on too long!) and swears he's never had a problem, that's IF cans and all, so long as the unit is blow dried and left in (for example) the airing cupboard overnight to thoroughly dry.