UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2022, 9:53 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Glues for rexine onto plastic

Hi all

I'm currently restoring a Bush MB60, valve version of the more popular TR82. The rexine was in very poor condition so I've removed it and found an almost identical one to replace it with.

This evening I attempted to glue it with contact adhesive, I've never had much luck with this, especially with fabric as it seems to soak it up leaving corners and patches un-stuck once dried. As expected the same thing happened and I was left dissapointed both in the glue and in myself for being foolish enough to try it again.

I normally use wood glue for things like record players, very slightly watered down and that always works well. Considering the MB60 is plastic I thought this would be a more difficult task for wood glue due to one material being non-porous, ideally it needs to be something that 'tacks' fairly quickly. My next consideration is to use pearl glue, aka hot hide or bone glue. As it sets during cooling a thicker mix should ensure that it doesn't completely get soaked up by the fabric and I would imagine it will make a good bond fast.

I have plenty of fabric to experiment but I thought I'd share the project here for any other thoughts before I go ahead with phase 2! Anyone else think hide glue is a good or bad choice, or any other suggestions of glue that will be a good choice?
Old 7th Jul 2022, 10:32 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Glues for rexine onto plastic

I have successfully used fabric glue, available from Boyes, to stick some denim to a Roberts RD50 cabinet. It’s good stuff, you basically paste it onto both surfaces then stick them together whilst still wet, it doesn’t soak into the fabric and ruin it either. It’s like a thick wood glue, and dries clear, worth a shot!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 7th Jul 2022, 11:31 pm   #3
joebog1
Banned

I agree with contact glue, BUT not conventional solvent based. There is a product called " Acrylic Contact " . It doesnt string, it doesnt run, it dries perfectly clear, can be cleaned of with a water damp rag BEFORE it sets, and doesnt discolour anything. Its completely waterproof when dry. I use it for speaker cone, coil or surround replacement. Its esxtremely easy to use. A toothpaste sized tube costs about $25 and thats its biggest drawback. Its made by Selleys.

Joe
Old 9th Jul 2022, 4:41 pm   #4
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks both for your advice, I will try some fabric glue first as it will most likely be cheaper than acrylic adhesive. I tried hide glue today, had the exact same problem of the fabric absorbing it so much that you'd never even know any was laid on it and I applied a good amount too! Luckily I have plenty of fabric left so I'll source some fabric glue and see how I get on with that.
Old 10th Jul 2022, 9:56 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

This is the fabric glue I mentioned, hopefully the instructions off the back of the bottle are legible!

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E7B9A9E-2FC0-4BDC-B177-35469C4134D0.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	260755   Click image for larger version

Name:	E05D01FF-C65E-4D4B-9ABA-414710777B47.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	260756