UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2021, 9:37 pm   #41
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Seeking a Cornish Dealer from the past

Thanks guys.

Tony has a fair point as do you HB. There is a record of television reception in Cornwall but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the only one. If I knew that my set was the one recorded then an article in a local paper could certainly be useful but my leaky memory suggests to me that I had already dismissed that link in the past. I'll try to find the report again.

Peter.

p.s. I didn't need my leaky memory. I had referenced it in my webpage. See below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minehead.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	226923  

Last edited by peter_scott; 16th Feb 2021 at 9:44 pm.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 9:44 pm   #42
ms660
Dekatron

It could have been brought down here by someone who had connections with the Cornish Mining industry who at one time lived and worked in or around London.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:03 pm   #43
Radio Wrangler

Might have been left to someone living in Cornwall in the will of someone living in London. No use down here, but too expensive to just dump it...

David
Old 21st Feb 2021, 1:41 pm   #44
Restoration73
Nonode

Much of Cornwall was unelectrified until WW2 or later. The main need for the grid was the RAF stations in the war.
Old 21st Feb 2021, 2:41 pm   #45
peter_scott
Dekatron

I would assume that Minehead was connected but I could certainly imagine the location where I bought the set was not.

Peter.
Old 21st Feb 2021, 3:00 pm   #46
Cobaltblue

We seem to be drifting into an entirely different topic about what parts of the UK had mains power and when. ISTR there is a thread about that already

Cheers

Mike T
Old 21st Feb 2021, 3:44 pm   #47
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Mike,

My desire when opening the thread was to make contact with the man I bought the set from with the hope that he could tell me more of its history. My wife seems to recall when we collected it in 1978 that he said the set had belonged to his father who had lived in London but moved with all his belonging to Cornwall. From discussion in this thread I have been told that I bought the set from Michael Scott (and my wife was reminded of this name when I mentioned it.) The person telling me his name also told me that he had died. In the absence of any other information I would like to confirm that Michael Scott's father had lived in London before moving to Cornwall. Unfortunately I am not convinced that any of the Michael Scotts that I have found in BMD sources actually had a London based father.

It's true that the question of electricity supply in Cornwall is probably not very relevant because we don't even know if the father had lived at the house where I received the set let alone whether he intended to use it.

Peter.
Old 21st Feb 2021, 6:25 pm   #48
Cobaltblue

I have spoken to my friend and he doesn't know the name Michael Scott although he did correctly identify the location. He didn't know it sold antiques as he rarely had reason to go past the door as that would mean heading for Bodmin, usually he would be heading East.

He will ask around and he has a lot of local knowledge.

I did go in there at least once but ultimately the A30 was a terrible road in the 70's and 80's so unless I needed to go to Okehampton I tended to use the A38.

TV came to parts of Cornwall in 1956 by which time this set would have been hopelessly out of date so I think its more likely that it came down during the war. Many families evacuated London and not just the poor during the war.
I think this is what you have already concluded.
So no further forward for the moment.

I still have a feeling this set was in Redruth before Bolventor and was the same set I missed out on by a week I cannot believe too many such sets appeared in Cornwall. That set was apparently owned by a doctor who fled the Blitz.

It would be nice to find out where it originated and how it ended up in Cornwall, I also missed out on an HMV 905 at our local recycling centre in Exeter again how did that get there.

That one ended up at Christies.

Cheers

MIke T
Old 21st Feb 2021, 6:42 pm   #49
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Mike,

Thanks for enquiring of your friend. It would be nice if it was the doctor's set. That would be a step nearer in its history. Was that set also an HMV901?

Peter
Old 21st Feb 2021, 7:25 pm   #50
Cobaltblue

I never actually saw it in the flesh I bought my first TV22 and the shop keeper said if you were in last week I had a pre-war HMV. TV

The description he gave Mirror Lid controls either side of the CRT led me to conclude it was possibly a 901.

When he first got it from a deceased house clearance he thought it was a radiogram.

I thought no more of it other than a one that got away story.

The timescale loosely fits I will have to go back through photographs to get an idea when that was to the nearest month.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 21st Feb 2021, 7:36 pm   #51
peter_scott
Dekatron

Do you know if the Redruth dealer is still alive? Perhaps I could explore what he remembers of the set and who he sold it to?

Peter
Old 21st Feb 2021, 7:42 pm   #52
Cobaltblue

Lawrence (ms660) may know he got around the dealers in Redruth far more often than me.
There was another thread where we discussed some of the Redruth dealers I can't even remember what the place was called!

Cheers

Mike T
Old 21st Feb 2021, 8:50 pm   #53
ms660
Dekatron

The most prominent well known Redruth dealer that I knew of, of all stuff in the 1970's and 1980's was "Darkie" Delves, darkish complexion and wavy hair, bought quite a lot of stuff from him, got on with him well, his emporium was up Back Lane West in Redruth on the right hand side, Mr. Delves lived on the opposite side of the lane, his emporium was known locally as Aladdin's Cave at least by me and and others that I knew.

If Michael Scott at the house at Bolventor was a dealer in antiques, clocks etc then he would have known or would have heard of Mr. Delves for sure I reckon.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 21st Feb 2021 at 8:59 pm. Reason: extra info
Old 21st Feb 2021, 8:58 pm   #54
peter_scott
Dekatron

Well for me the key thing is, is he still contactable? Perhaps Michael Scott didn't want to reveal his source??

No Delves in the BT directory for Cornwall.

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 21st Feb 2021 at 9:13 pm.
Old 21st Feb 2021, 9:11 pm   #55
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Well for me the key thing is, is he still contactable? Perhaps Michael Scott didn't want to reveal his source
Sadly Mr. Delves passed away a while back, he had children so far as I remember, I don't know if his wife is still living, someone on one of the Redruth Facebook pages might know:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/851734401508548/

Lawrence.
Old 21st Feb 2021, 10:38 pm   #56
Cobaltblue

Thank you Lawrence Mr Delves it was.

I remember we discussed him on an earlier thread.

It was certainly an Aladins cave.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 21st Feb 2021, 10:39 pm   #57
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thanks Lawrence,

I've joined the FB group and posted a request that will no doubt appear once vetted.

Peter
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 9:41 am   #58
peter_scott
Dekatron

The Facebook Posting was successful in contacting the Delves family but I suspect I've left it too late to discover my set's history but thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Peter
Old 24th Feb 2021, 8:49 am   #59
greenstar
Octode

Is it possible to trace who held a television licence? I am not sure how they were licenced pre-war, or if that information is available.
Old 24th Feb 2021, 10:03 am   #60
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thanks for the suggestion Greenstar but I don't think there was a TV licence pre-war.

Peter.
Closed Thread