UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2011, 7:55 pm   #1
sparkskii
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage Brother Model 408 Calculator with Individual Vacuum Fluorescent Tubes

Found this beauty for 2$ at Value Village (2nd hand retail outlet in North America).

It wasn't working. Opened it up. The solder on main pcb was very dull and grey. Did a thorough touch-up, and she came alive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bro5.mod.408.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	51508   Click image for larger version

Name:	bro.mod.408.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	51509   Click image for larger version

Name:	bro3.mod.408.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	51510  
Old 24th May 2011, 9:02 pm   #2
woodchips
Octode

Default Re: Vintage Brother Model 408 Calculator with Individual Vacuum Fluorescent Tubes

Amazing how they keep turnng up, just how many were made?

Working better than the clock in the digital camera huh?

Bob
Old 24th May 2011, 10:02 pm   #3
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage Brother Model 408 Calculator with Individual Vacuum Fluorescent Tubes

Nice find there.

The keypad has a very Sharp-ish look to it, wonder if there's any connection between this and the "compet" series from the same time period. Unfortunately the one I'm thinking of is buried in a box at my parents house just now so I can't take a photo.

If you think about how many desks, both business and private these would have found their way on to in the 70s and early 80s, then got shoved away into a drawer somewhere when the pocket calculator took over, it's not really surprising that they keep surfacing.

Unlike radios and TVs of the period, they're small and inconspicuous enough that they tend to survive the house clearances better!
Old 24th May 2011, 10:14 pm   #4
sparkskii
Retired Dormant Member

@woodchips

Ha! Yes, for the moment it is working better then the clock in the camera. Actualy, I had just changed the 3 volt eeprom battery in the camera, and have yet to fix the time and date

@Zelandeth

Thanks Yes, the keypad does have Sharp-ish look to it. In fact, I think I'll be on the lookout at value village for some old sharp accounting calculators (the ones with the little paper reel), because they tend to have similar keys, and mine is missing the zero.

Interesting point, the calculator will not turn on if not connected to the NiCad battery pack inside, which I am quite sure is dead now.
Closed Thread