UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2010, 5:38 pm   #1
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Hoover Constellation rewire.

Hi,
I'm looking to fit a new mains cable to my early Hoover Constellation vacuum cleaner. The original cable is two core. I would like to fit a three core cable as the cleaner has a metal case. I am a bit uncertain about whether or not to do this as a later handbook states, " THIS APPLIANCE MUST NOT BE EARTHED". I believe this is because it has a double insulated motor. Surely in the interest of safety an appliance with a metal case which has the potential however small for say a live connection/wire to touch it should be earthed. I am a bit confused by this. Any advice gratefully received.
Thank you,
Des.
Old 30th May 2011, 9:20 am   #2
sparkyplumber
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hoover Constellation rewire.

Des, depends what your take is of that era of double insulation. In the current IEE regs we call that Class II double or reinforced equipment, but there is another reg relating to 'barriers'. If it were me, I wouldn't earth it, but would make sure that a 30mA RCD is fitted to the circuit supplying the Constellation. Rgds Michael.
Old 30th May 2011, 7:25 pm   #3
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Fit a two core cable, if you find you have a fault in your wiring elsewhere in the house, handling the vacuum would give you a shocking surprise....

My Hoover Junior 1334 has a metal case & metal handle, but the motor is plastic (or bakelite/similar), and the connections are over the "flashpad" on a plastic base cover, and the inside is painted so there's very little chance of there being a problem with the metal parts becoming live, I'm assuming they did the same with the Constellation, though I haven't gone into those models.

And depending on the colour of the vac, you're probably best to get plain white cable, or if it's a grey base one, Grey...
Old 31st May 2011, 12:00 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

On the Constellation, immediately behind the cable entry is a substantial terminal block of bakelite/other plastic. The terminals are exposed but cannot be accessed unless the filter plate is unscrewed and removed. The switch is on the opposite side of the casing, secured to the latter by two sturdy metal clips. The design of these clips is such that should one, or both, break or come adrift they cannot come into contact with the switch terminals. All internal wiring beyond the terminal block is, or should be, covered by extra sheathing.

The motor locates at the bottom of the casing on a beefy rubber seat and via a rubber ring at the top which mates with the filter plate.

Any chance of electric shock from these cleaners is therefore extremely remote. I would, however, strongly recommend checking the spade connectors on the switch for tightness; this is the one weak spot because if the wire(s) come adrift they will fall onto the metal casing, although the inside of the casing is painted - albeit thinly.
Old 31st May 2011, 8:52 am   #5
broadgage
Nonode

Subject to proper workmanship, I see no harm in adding an earth wire to an appliance originally considered to be double insulated.

As to whether or not this is required, that is a subjective matter and depends on how much faith you have in the original "double insulation"
I am not familiar with the vintage appliance in question, but it sounds as though an earth might be a prudent addition, since it is stated that spade terminals could come loose and touch metal.
Although this metal is painted, I would not consider an ordinary thickness of paint to be a reliable insulating barrier.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:21 am   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi, I have about four packs of bags for this model. I was just about to throw them away, yours for the price of p/p.

As regards to the mains lead a two core will be fine. The motor is very well isolated in its rubber mounts. I must have serviced hundreds of these and never had a problem with earth leakage.

Regards,
Mick.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 31st May 2011 at 1:09 pm. Reason: FSK, FPK.
Old 31st May 2011, 9:43 pm   #7
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

You have a PM Mick
Closed Thread