UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2011, 2:31 pm   #1
brenellic2000
Octode

Default MULLARD LSD-2 and LSD-3 tubes/stroboscopes

OK, I know these are electronic cathode discharge tubes used in early electronic flash guns but does any ex-Mullard chap (or chapess!) know the history and development of these?

The reason I ask is these were used in Britain's first electric photographic flash-guns, the Mega-Flash, from 1947 (the LSD-3 from 1949) but were these LSDs used in similar high-speed stroboscopic work during the war or pre-war? As I understand it stroboscobes were first developed in American in the 1930s, but were they also developed in the UK in the 1930s/40s and is this the origin of the LSD tube?

Barry
Old 19th May 2011, 10:54 pm   #2
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Re: MULLARD LSD-2 and LSD-3 tubes/stroboscopes

http://www.datasheet4u.net/download.php?id=626423

That link is to the datasheet for the LSD-2 tube, gives a little snippet of information in there.

Dave.
Old 20th May 2011, 1:22 pm   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks - I've already got that! Its the development and application I am interested in.
Barry
Old 24th May 2011, 9:04 pm   #4
woodchips
Octode

Hi, got a photo? Always makes it easier when youcan see what the questions are all about. Bob
Closed Thread