UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2011, 8:44 pm   #1
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

Default I thought about you..

Had a thrash out in Licolnshire with the Yorkshire Strokers today and visited the Trolleybus museum en route...

I thought about you lot when I saw these (and more).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic34.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	50331   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic35.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	50332   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic36.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	50333  
Old 29th Apr 2011, 9:22 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: I thought about you..

The Ferguson TV, a 506 I think, I used to rent them for 4/9d a week in the '60s. The Bush/Murphy TV I remember well and the Vidor portable was the first battery mains set I remember seeing, came out in about 1950 I believe.

Peter
Old 29th Apr 2011, 9:39 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The Russel Hobbs teamaker is up here in Scotland and it works!

David
Old 30th Apr 2011, 10:17 am   #4
davegsm82
Heptode

I have one of those Vidor portables, a little worse for wear but restorable. IIRC it also has a battery eliminator inside too.

Dave.
Old 30th Apr 2011, 5:20 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It is indeed a Ferguson 506, aka HMV 1890. Fireball tuner and one version has FM radio.
The tea maker is a Goblin Teasmade 844 from the 1970s.
Old 30th Apr 2011, 6:53 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

SORRY! I meant Goblin.

David
Old 30th Apr 2011, 7:39 pm   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

The Bush TV171 dual standard telly with the RBM A640 chassis. I wonder if it still works.
Old 30th Apr 2011, 10:11 pm   #8
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I used to have a Teasmade similar to that, mine had a single plate behind the clock which the kettle sat on. Unfortunately on mine the kettle leaked (split near the handle if I recall correctly) and I used the Teasmade to switch on a Dixons TR30 Cassette Recorder!

Brian
Old 30th Apr 2011, 11:15 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The A640 will need at least a LOPTX!

David

PS I used to DX with these and the amount of LOPTXs i saved were always duff when i needed them.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:31 am   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

I've still got a teasmade, complete with a mod I made: a "figure 8" radio/cassette mains lead soldered to the switch terminals, so the radio into which it is plugged comes on with the light. Served me well for many years (on its seond clock motor now), but was retired from active service when I bought a stereo with a timer.

Teasmades probably were more appreciated in the days of poorly-heated bedrooms. Now with central heating on a timer, you won't freeze on the way to the kitchen to make a brew! And the milk may go off in a warm bedroom overnight.
Old 2nd May 2011, 9:46 am   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

We wouldn't be without our Teasmade and have had one for about forty years now. Same for heated bedroom!
This might be useful for Teasminded folk.
Old 2nd May 2011, 1:09 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Nice to see the Bush TV171 - obviously a 19" set, not the 17" on the label, though an easy mistake to make.
While at school I got one of these ex-rental from a TV shop to learn about TVs and spent ages getting it going, eventually finding a poor looking tube. However the frame rolled as well on bright scenes, and to my delight I found a BC108 feeding the PFL200 was faulty - replacing it gave a typically good A640 picture.
I painted the scruffy cabinet orange (well, it was the seventies) and was the envy of friends, in addition to my good looks, attractiveness, intelligence and self delusion.
I then reasoned that these sets were being pulled ex-rental as the tubes were deemed soft, so went back to the shop and collected a good few more - even some 20" versions, and, sure enough they all had duff transistors - and had cracking tubes!
I sold quite a few (in their natural non-orange finish, you'll be pleased to hear) and started my business. Yes, the one that is winding down now...
Glyn
Closed Thread