UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2018, 5:39 pm   #21
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Brenell Tape Machine Restoration

Though it could occur under unusual conditions deck flexing was not normally a problem on E series (1/4 inch) machines but could be on H and G series (1/2 inch and 1 inch).

Slow and wowy starts were not the normal case either, a properly set up machine would come in with a clean wow free tone set a quarter of an inch back from the head gap.

How an organisation chose to use machines was up to them of course.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 6:11 pm   #22
Stevie342000
Hexode

I think I got the machines mixed it was the EMI that was prone to stretch or snap the tape and slow to start up but was a better machine for editing. Although the C, D and E series were I would have thought just as easy to edit on.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 6:20 pm   #23
barrymagrec
Octode

BBC engineers (depending on their age) always seemed to prefer the BTR2 to any other machine for editing and this may have been what precipitated another ill judged scheme, the conversion of the BTR2 for Stereo.

I think it mainly comes down to what you were taught on and get used to, as far as I know a lot of Leevers machines were used for news editing at BH and that is a high pressure high speed operation.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 6:55 pm   #24
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
My understanding of the Bush House 3 3/4ips failure was that it was largely due to the difficulty of satisfactory editing at that speed and the greater audible effect of a less than perfect edit.
Both good points - the case quoted to me was that one could line up the rep azimuth, open the deck, close it and re-check to find it miles off. In the state of the art as it was at the time, it was a pretty daft idea, even for short-wave transmission.

Editing is partly what you are used to, granted. I was too late for the BTR2, though I had the misfortune to encounter the RD4/4, which was a turkey. Some swore by the Philips PRO20, but for me the best machine by miles is the Studer A80RC, where you can go straight from Play to Edit when you hear a cut point. This locks the tape path and backs off the pinch about an eighth of an inch, so you can move the tape back about an inch, mark, and cut with the built-in scissors by the play head. Very swift and very sure.
Old 27th Feb 2018, 1:17 pm   #25
Stevie342000
Hexode

What's the best material to use to clean the front plate of the Brenell tape machines? Does one cleaner do all Marks or do you need a different cleaner for each machine type?

What is the value of the Suppressor capacitors? Are they class X or class Y?
Closed Thread