UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2018, 2:10 pm   #1
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Default Removing labels

I have a Dansette Bermuda MK1 which I am going to have a go at recovering. I've got the rexine for it but it has it's original labels and I wondered if anyone has every tried to remove them without damaging them.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 3:58 pm   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Removing labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce77 View Post
I have a Dansette Bermuda MK1 which I am going to have a go at recovering. I've got the rexine for it but it has it's original labels and I wondered if anyone has every tried to remove them without damaging them.
Hello,

The following may be completely wrong for what you have in mind ... but here goes anyway!

In the past I've used one of these paint scrapers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Personna-PS...d=302195537868

Results depend upon technique but in the majority of cases (pun intended) I've been able to remove old labels from test gear etc. (such as those nice Tektronix / HP ones) in one go without damage.

There are some labels e.g. 'calibration void if removed' sticky decals that will always break up no matter what you do or how you do it but obviously that's a good thing.

No connection with the vendor ... just a satisfied user. Watch the pinkies when using as the blades are fer-fer-flipping sharp!

I hope this helps,

Best wishes
Guy
Old 7th Mar 2018, 4:10 pm   #3

A slowly evaporating solvent works well, for removing and not reusing labels I use cooking oil, takes a while (days) to keep the label try paraffin, they do dry out eventually.

Old 7th Mar 2018, 6:47 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymrod121 View Post

The following may be completely wrong for what you have in mind ... but here goes anyway!

In the past I've used one of these paint scrapers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Personna-PS...d=302195537868

Guy
I use quite a lot of those single edged razor blades in retractable holders for all sorts of things and find them really useful. I buy my blades from an Autojumble at York, but they're cheaply available on e-bay. Typically 25 for £1.99 post free (8p each) or 100 for £4.99 post free (5p each). A search for 'SINGLE EDGE RAZOR WINDOW SCRAPER BLADES' should find them. They come individually wrapped in a small dispenser box.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 8:02 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

As you are recovering the cabinet you could cut round the labels complete with the rexine on the back. Maybe they will separate soaked in warm water.
Old 8th Mar 2018, 12:21 pm   #6
ionburn
Heptode

It probably won't work on something very old, but with many more modern labels, where I used to work, I used a hot hair gun to soften the adhesive. The label then can be often carefully peeled off. This is especially useful on equipment on which someone has plastered paper labels. Beware though, that some labels are heat sensitive and turn black when heated.
Old 8th Mar 2018, 2:12 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

Maplin's label remover aerosol works well on modern self-adhesive labels. Perhaps I'll get another tin while my local shop is still open!
Old 8th Mar 2018, 4:21 pm   #8
Andrew2
Nonode

I used to get very irritated with those price stickers on CD cases. Any attempt to peel them off resulted in the paper tearing and leaving some of the label still in place and a sticky mess.
I found that heat was the answer, and later discovered that only a slightly elevated temperature was required. Even a few 'hot breaths' on the label would enable it to be peeled off with no sticky residue.
Old 8th Mar 2018, 5:52 pm   #9
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the good ideas. Will let you know which one works the best.
Old 8th Mar 2018, 11:48 pm   #10
joebog1
Banned

I use WD40 or RP7 !!! Both are basically "fish oil". With really sticky labels it can take a few hours, with the sticky price labels on CD cases ( I get them on LP sleeves) they will come off in a few minutes and it doesn't leave any gummy gunk afterwards.

Joe
Old 9th Mar 2018, 8:11 pm   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

I presume you're talking about the foil "Dansette" labels in the lid? If so, they are stuck on with animal glue, so should respond to heat which will melt the glue. Put a cloth over the labels, and hold a fairly hot domestic iron on it for a few seconds.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 9:13 pm   #12
yesnaby
Octode

My late mum's hairdryer is very useful for peeling labels off old envelopes so I can re-use them!
Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:20 pm   #13
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I would agree with joebog1. WD40. If you spray some into a small container and then use an artist's brush to paint it on to keep it moist with the oil, the glue will slowly dissolve . WD40 doesn't attack most plastics but it is brilliant at dissolving sticker glue and in can be applied to most electronic parts/connectors/pcb's etc without damage... But there is one big exception: never let it near an assembly or circuit with miniature adjustable ceramic or insulated vane capacitors. It gets into them and increases the dielectric constant altering their values variably. I have seen this mistake made with scope attenuators, then it can be a long job to wash it out. Otherwise WD40 is a miracle compound.
Old 11th Mar 2018, 3:21 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
My late mum's hairdryer is very useful for peeling labels off old envelopes so I can re-use them!
Which particular sort of label off an old envelope would you want to reuse?

An unmarked one?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Mar 2018, 5:30 pm   #15
yesnaby
Octode

Sorry! Unclear statement lol.
Closed Thread