UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2018, 9:09 pm   #61
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Origin of 'condenser' name

I don't recall GERUND, but all the english and latin grammatical expressions acquired 65 years ago no longer seem to apply. Present, future, perfect, future perfect, pluperfect etc all seem to be different today. My russian speaking wife is struggling to get her grammar correct, but I can help little other than offering a correct sentence as an example since she is learning the modern equivalent terms. Fortunately I can both speak and write in good english (most of the time).
Les.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 12:10 am   #62
Hartley118
Nonode

The resisting (gerund) of a flow of current is commonly achieved by a length of resistance (adjective) wire usually called a resistor (noun).

We also of course had the French Resistance (noun and completely OT!).

Martin
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 11:00 am   #63
Herald1360
Dekatron

Then there's the resistance which is futile......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:00 pm   #64
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
The resisting (gerund) of a flow of current is commonly achieved by a length of resistance (adjective) wire...
Well I'll be jiggered, I think this vindicates Al Skywave!
Old 4th Mar 2018, 12:36 pm   #65
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Origin of 'condenser' name

Quote:
The resisting (gerund) of a flow of current is commonly achieved by a length of resistance (adjective) wire...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Well I'll be jiggered. I think this vindicates Al Skywave!
And having read all that, I am tempted to make a suitable comment. So here it is: "No Comment".

Al.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 1:56 am   #66
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
The resisting (gerund) of a flow of current is commonly achieved by a length of resistance (adjective) wire usually called a resistor (noun).
"The resisting of" is terrible English. The correct formulation is just "Resisting a flow of current is...". "Resisting" is still a gerund in that context.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 3:09 am   #67
trobbins
Heptode

My 1897'ish Webster's provides 1 of 3 'physics' meanings to condenser: An instrument for concentrating electricity by the effect of induction between conducting plates separated by a nonconducting plate.
Capacitor hadn't been coined then.
Jar is described as the measure of what is contained in a jar. Example of Leyden Jar.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 4:00 pm   #68
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Origin of 'condenser' name

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
"The resisting of" is terrible English. The correct formulation is just "Resisting a flow of current is...". "Resisting" is still a gerund in that context.
I disagree: it's not "terrible English" and neither is it wrong ("the correct formulation").

Another example:
The opening paragraph of this chapter is misleading.

I don't see anything incorrect in that: it's all a matter of style.

Anyway, all of this is irrelevant: the question is "resistance" - adjective or noun?

Al.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 4:20 pm   #69
Station X

We obviously need someone to look it up in the OED, but I expect, whatever it says, some people won't accept it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 6:08 pm   #70
raditechman
Heptode

The name lives on with microphones. People normally refer to a condenser mike, not a capacitor mike.
John
Old 6th Mar 2018, 7:46 pm   #71

Quote:
if adherence to the rules
There are no rules in english, only accepted practice. That is what makes it so beautiful and annoying. A whole hotch potch of other languages, that is why natives (myself) can understand incomers who have only a small grasp of it, marvellous!

It does irk me slightly when conventions aren't used by those who should know better, in the end it is the message that matters after all. And when that happens I become un-irked.

Anyway (to quote Douglas Adams and others) "Resistance is futile".

Old 7th Mar 2018, 12:53 am   #72
emeritus
Dekatron

The preface to my (now rather ancient) Concise Oxford Dictionary observes that its contents reflect the then-current British English idiom and do not prescribe what that idiom ought to be.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 2:05 pm   #73
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

The modern trend is for dictionaries and grammarians to wash their hands of any responsibility, thus condoning poor English by failing to discourage it. Most dictionaries still indicate if a word is colloquial or vulgar. Perhaps they should also indicate if a word/construction is helpful or unhelpful. If not, we will soon have "of" listed in its new meaning: 'he could of stopped them', when this is clearly an error.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 2:06 pm   #74
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
The name lives on with microphones. People normally refer to a condenser mike, not a capacitor mike.
John
And the rotary synchronous condenser, used for power-factor correction. Though the only thing that this has in common with the two-plates-plus-dielectric is that it draws current in quadrature with applied voltage!
Old 10th Mar 2018, 12:41 pm   #75
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Another example:
The opening paragraph of this chapter is misleading.

I don't see anything incorrect in that: it's all a matter of style.

Anyway, all of this is irrelevant: the question is "resistance" - adjective or n.

Hey Al, I just caught up with this.

Your sentence above, on closer inspection, doesn't have the same structure at all as:

'The resisting (gerund) of a flow of current is commonly achieved by a length of resistance (adjective) wire usually called a resistor (noun).'

'Opening', in 'opening paragraph', describes what kind of paragraph that is. Hence 'opening' is simply an adjective here.

Whereas in 'The resisting (gerund) of a flow of current is commonly achieved by a length of resistance (adjective) wire usually called a resistor (noun)...' 'the resisting' is a gerund.

I'm only saying this because it looks as if you posted your sentence as if it were structurally a mimic of the earlier one (you imply that you can substitute the bracketed terms.) It isn't.