UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2017, 5:14 pm   #1
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Musical Fidelity amp - what voltage transformer?

Hi there
A friend has given me a stereo power amp to look at - a musical Fidelity Elektra E11. The mains transformer's duff. Does anyone know what voltage secondary I'd need? It's a standard XX-0-XX toroid, around 120VA I'd say, feeding twin bridge rectifiers and 2 x 10000uF 50V smoothers. I was considering a 35-0-35v but would that be sailing a bit close to the wind?
What do you think?
Glyn
Old 30th Aug 2017, 6:57 pm   #2
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Musical Fidelity amp - what voltage transformer?

It's rated at 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

As a rule of thumb, a 25-0-25 transformer should get you around 50 watts into 8 ohms, and 35-0-35 should get you around 100 watts into 8 ohms. This assumes a conventional bipolar output stage with good voltage efficiency rather than a MOS-FET source-follower design.

So in practice, the exact voltage specified originally is likely to fall in-between those values, but there are many other variables to consider. Personally, I'd try a standard 25-0-25, as any loss in output power will be inaudible in practice, but if you wanted to try 30-0-30, then go for it! I agree that 35-0-35 is a bit much for 50V caps, but I've seen worse from Musical Fidelity (in the B200, the 63V smoothing capacitors have over 70V across them!).

Of course, the transformer will have 2 windings rather than a CT (sorry for stating the obvious!)
Old 7th Sep 2017, 2:58 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Musical Fidelity amp - what voltage transformer?

Hi there
Thanks for the info. I decided on a 30 + 30V (thanks for the correction!) transformer and the amp is now happily running ready for return.
Glyn
Closed Thread