UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2022, 1:20 am   #81
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: 2nd November - UK CB anniversary

I recall that the 15kHz bandwidth version of the crystal filter was the 10M15A. Looking online, these are still available, and the insertion loss is only about 1.5dB if matched correctly.

I think the narrower filter was the 10M7A. I'd be wary of this narrow filter as it can make the receiver sound quite distorted, especially if the received CBer uses a power mike or has the deviation turned up slightly inside the radio.
Old 7th Nov 2022, 9:40 am   #82
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
I favoured the the tiny 21E as it was so tiny with the leds instead of an analogue meter! Would love to find a nice one again!
I've never seen a Maxcom 21E but I have a similarly small Maxon-made radio which almost certainly is the same radio with a different front panel, the Colt 355. Having just looked at an online image of the Maxcom 21E I think the Colt is actually the nicer looking version although it does have one less switch, have a look at the first two images in this post:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=61
Old 7th Nov 2022, 1:38 pm   #83
electronicskip
Nonode

I have the Maxcom 4e, is that the one you mean?
Old 7th Nov 2022, 6:19 pm   #84
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The Maxcom 4E looks to have used the same tooling as the Cobra 19X / Cobra 21 and as such is at the small end of 'Normal', but the Maxcom MX-21E and Colt 355 are more like 'Mini' rigs. Atttached, a still capture of a Maxcom MX-21E, which was taken from this Youtube video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEw7IlvcGaA

The two front panel switches are the 'standard' CB size so that gives you some idea of the overall size of the front panel - quite a small radio by early eighties standards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxcom_MX21E.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	267624  
Old 8th Nov 2022, 3:39 pm   #85
electronicskip
Nonode

Here is my Maxcom20e which i had forgotten i had.
Its a small rig like the 4e and the 21 but its not as small as my Pama GX-1000 Rig pictured by it.
The Uniden Uniace 200 is there as a comparison for size as its a full size rig .
Quite a difference as you can see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221108_142552 (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	267686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221108_142558.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	267687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221108_142604.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	267688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221108_142552.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	267689  
Old 9th Nov 2022, 9:12 pm   #86
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The Maxcom 20E is obviously the 'with real meter' option, and the 21E the 'bargraph meter' version. I wonder which one cost the most? Probably the LED metered 21E, as that would be regarded as more hi-tech. I personally don't enjoy LED meters even when they are attached to otherwise decent radios like the Cybernet own branded sets, mainly because they are so low-res with typically only 4 LEDs.

My first ever full featured (40 channel / 4 watt) CB was semi-homebrewed and for that I used an LM391x bargraph LED driver IC and a 10-segment DIP LED bargraph display. I also added a little bit of capacitance to the input so that the meter swept up and down like a physical meter, rather than jumping instantly from one reading to the other.

The Pama, when does that date from? I would have said late eighties / early nineties.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 4:26 pm   #87
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
The Maxcom 4E looks to have used the same tooling as the Cobra 19X / Cobra 21 and as such is at the small end of 'Normal', but the Maxcom MX-21E and Colt 355 are more like 'Mini' rigs. Atttached, a still capture of a Maxcom MX-21E, which was taken from this Youtube video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEw7IlvcGaA

The two front panel switches are the 'standard' CB size so that gives you some idea of the overall size of the front panel - quite a small radio by early eighties standards.
Here are my Cobra 21x and Maxcom 4e.
As you see the tooling is very similar as you say but certainly not mini rigs like the Pama.

Both units were manufactured in Korea , the Maxcom in 82 and the Cobra in November 81.
The Maxcom has a sticker on the back that says it was supplied by a company called Double R CB Radio of Ashbourne Derbys.

In relation to the Pama it was manufactured/Sold in UK in 1989.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221110_135112_2CS.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	267809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221110_135112_1CS.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	267810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221110_135112_0CS.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	267811  
Old 10th Nov 2022, 6:55 pm   #88
electronicskip
Nonode

Not sure how i got 3x pics the same but here are the other ones i was trying to post as a comparison.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221110_135100.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	267829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221110_135104.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	267830  
Old 10th Nov 2022, 7:00 pm   #89
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

"The Mod now approaching post #87...." (Perhaps the duplicates will get removed).

Yes, I would say they were both made in the same Korean factory by Maxon, same chassis, same front panel moulding just differently finished. Even the volume and squelch knobs are the same, the ones on the Maxcom left black and the ones on the Cobra 'chromed'. The channel knob on the Maxcom is not the right one, it should also be the same as the one on the Cobra, but black instead of chrome.

There's a part of me which is itching to do something about those dilapidated microphone plugs, though... standard 5-pin / 180 degree plugs with black covers would do it...
Old 10th Nov 2022, 7:07 pm   #90
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
"The Mod now approaching post #87...." (Perhaps the duplicates will get removed).

Yes, I would say they were both made in the same Korean factory by Maxon, same chassis, same front panel moulding just differently finished. Even the volume and squelch knobs are the same, the ones on the Maxcom left black and the ones on the Cobra 'chromed'. The channel knob on the Maxcom is not the right one, it should also be the same as the one on the Cobra, but black instead of chrome.

There's a part of me which is itching to do something about those dilapidated microphone plugs, though... standard 5-pin / 180 degree plugs with black covers would do it...
Yes i should really do something about those plugs, i bought a huge load of em when Maplins closed for a few pennies along with a ton of other stuff in big bags which ive been giving away gradually.

The Maxcom channel changer is non standard as i put it on as it was missing when i got the rig.
However , both rigs work.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 7:15 pm   #91
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Knights CB used to have a fair range of knobs (for example they did have Cybernet / Rotel channel change knobs listed) - for those radios they would have been painted gunmetal grey but I suppose they could be repainted into Ham International Black or Hy-Gain silver - unfortunately that is one of the many things they seem to have run out of.
Old 11th Nov 2022, 12:03 am   #92
nickdoofah
Banned

Talking Re: 2nd November - UK CB anniversary

Quote:
Quote:
I favoured the the tiny 21E as it was so tiny with the leds instead of an analogue meter! Would love to find a nice one again!
I've never seen a Maxcom 21E but I have a similarly small Maxon-made radio which almost certainly is the same radio with a different front panel, the Colt 355. Having just looked at an online image of the Maxcom 21E I think the Colt is actually the nicer looking version although it does have one less switch, have a look at the first two images in this post:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=61
It's the same set minus one slide switch & I can't remember what it does atm! Very nice little set that - I love the silver one but that is the same chassis & pretty much the same set!
Old 11th Nov 2022, 10:00 am   #93
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The 'Missing' switch on the Colt 355 isn't really missing, it has just been moved around to the back, it's the small slide switch next to the power connector and is the -10dB TX output power switch which people were required and honestly expected to use if they had taken the trouble to put up a decent antenna system.

In practice people did actually use low power, but mainly to stay 'local' so there was less chance of being heard and interrupted by persistent channel surfers and the inevitable 'who's on?' 'who's asking?' exchanges.
Old 11th Nov 2022, 11:32 pm   #94
nickdoofah
Banned

I do keep checking back every month or so looking for a 21E - Have seen many & like my other hobby decent 80's boomboxes, they seem hard to find in good condition nowadays which is to be expected I guess! These were low cost sets, I can't remember exactly how much they sold for in 1982 but they were great value & performed as well as the well regarded 4E which was a huge success story - Everyone began CB life on a 4E it seemed!
Old 19th Nov 2022, 9:41 pm   #95
Techman
Dekatron

When I was out on that 41st anniversary gig the other week, a chap I spoke to on air said that he had an original Fidelity branded microphone that I could have. Yesterday I was told that the CBCS had kicked into play and that the mic would be collected from that person today and start on its way to me. I've just heard that the mic was collected this morning and the plan at this point in time is that I'll probably collect it from this person tomorrow, who's also got some other radio related bits for me, possibly including an early Sobell transistor radio. No word on any crystal filters yet, although I've also learned today that the person that mentioned them has been given an old Philips Bakelite radio that he's put in his shed ready for me to pick up at some time, probably later next week. The radio sounds like it'll probably be scrap, but apparently it has its full set of valves, so worth collecting just for parts - the back and bottom covers are apparently missing, also one of the knobs and it's filthy and full of muck having come from a farm.

I'm still seriously thinking about going for the Spectrum filter, and yes, it'll actually cost slightly more than the radio did, but still worth having a play, I think.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 12:15 pm   #96
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I think it would be fun to go on air with a respectably performing Fidelity 1000 and that one is already half way there with its suspiciously good / normal 4W output. Have you been in contact with Spectrum to get updated prices or are you just assuming a likely price jump of x%?

Their replacement VCO modules for Cybernets can be useful for rescuing otherwise dead radios from that manufacturer although I would be happier if they were screened and encapsulated like the original ones - the replacements seem quite likely to be prone to microphony although to be fair, I have not experienced that problem in practice.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 3:24 pm   #97
Techman
Dekatron

I went on a little trip yesterday and collected the original period Fidelity microphone. Apparently it is for the CB 1000 model, so should be wired appropriately, although I haven't tested it out yet. It looks like the lead has been shortened at the plug end, but with it angled like it is just after the end of the curly bit it should be just right for when it's plugged into the mic socket for bending towards the front - it may even have been done like that purposely for that reason, although more likely due to a previous open circuit in the end of the cable. Being old, the insert in it may not perform audio wise quite as well as the newish mic that came with the radio, but you never know, I may be surprised!

I haven't contacted Spectrum yet, but intend to do so, as I'm also after a VCO block for something else if he still has any. As said earlier, there were several other 'goodies' expected with the microphone, as shown below, also a signal generator (not shown), not an RF generator but 1Hz to 110KHz with a built in amplifier - seems to work but needs a shot of switch cleaner in a couple of the switches. Also below is a picture from a week or so back of the meters showing 13.2 volts and 4.5 watts FR output from the radio into a 50 ohm RF dummy load.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1150875.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	268487   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150876.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	268488   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150841.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	268489  
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 12:18 am   #98
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Well done finding a proper Fidelity shaped / branded microphone. I'm sure you are right, the cable cores will have fractured at the point where they entered the original plug.

All of my collected radios bar one, the York 863, have their original branded microphones. I can borrow a Cybernet-wired coffin microphone from one of several other radios if I want to use the York but the fact that I don't have an original York branded coffin microphone for it really irritates me and will do so until I find one.

I keep looking out for one at rallies - I will find one eventually, I have no doubt.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 2:05 pm   #99
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Well done finding a proper Fidelity shaped / branded microphone. I'm sure you are right, the cable cores will have fractured at the point where they entered the original plug.

All of my collected radios bar one, the York 863, have their original branded microphones. I can borrow a Cybernet-wired coffin microphone from one of several other radios if I want to use the York but the fact that I don't have an original York branded coffin microphone for it really irritates me and will do so until I find one.

I keep looking out for one at rallies - I will find one eventually, I have no doubt.
Ive a box of Assorted Mics in my Workshop, will have a look for you and see if ive got a York branded one .
Not saying i have but you never know.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 2:09 pm   #100
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I won't hold you to it but it would be great if you could lay hands on one.

Doesn't even have to work as I have at least one coffin-pattern microphone with a no-name brand like 'Sharmans' on it, so I could make a Frankenmike out of two if necessary - the main thing is that York badge in the little panel below the microphone grille.
Closed Thread