UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2022, 3:08 pm   #1
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Kenwood A340 chefette overhaul.

Further to me trying to give away this 1970s handheld / stand mixer combi, with no takers, I decided I might give it an overhaul and clean, and then give away our modern one as at least a charity shop would be happy with that one.

It's progressing nicely, most parts cleaned up. I can't see how to get the liqidiser drive off the motor shaft so that's going to have to be done in place.

Anyway, the nasty old rifa I was dreading doesn't exist in here. On each motor brush is what I guess is a plain old ceramic cap, with the other end connected to the motor frame, which is not earthed. I've included a photo in case anyone tells me otherwise, and that I need to change them out.

Also on the underneath of the speed control switch panel is a component I don't recognise. Some kind of fuse? Choke? Again picture attached.

Finally a question. I know quite a few peoplehave one of these or similar, and in any case this is probably appropriate for many devices: what grease? The end of the motor shaft is a helical gear (?) driving two tuffnol gears for turning the beaters via steel shafts. The main gearbox housing is part of the cast motor frame, but the top and bottom parts are plastic, at a guess nylon. The grease was pretty dried up, and there was some cake residue hanging around too so I've stripped and cleaned the parts. But what do I re-pack with? I see there is 'food grade' grease around but I bet in the 1970s this wasn't the stuff they used?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	266669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	266670  
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 3:15 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Kenwood A340 chefette overhaul.

The grease shouldn't be getting to the food, and even if it does it shouldn't do any harm other than tasting nasty. I would use whatever lubricating grease you have to hand.

Things like domestic hand mixers only see occasional intermittent use anyway, so heavy lubrication isn't required.
Old 27th Oct 2022, 9:25 pm   #3
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Re: Kenwood A340 chefette overhaul.

I refurbished my mums 50 year old kenwood last year .Complete strip down a good clean and new brushes and capacitors fitted as it was running at top speed all the time .the gearbox was cleaned out and i filled it with grease that i bought in halfords .While it was in bits it was resprayed and some new rubber feet fitted . Its runs really quiet now and looks like new
Closed Thread