UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2022, 10:32 am   #1
jobsworth
Tetrode

Default Mordant-short MS500 help

Hi there! I have been gifted a pair of Mordaunt-Short MS500 speakers - I would imagine they are from the late 1960s or early 1970s. Build quality is excellent and they are huge and weigh a ton! They feature a 12” bass unit and the Decca Kelly ribbon tweeters. I cannot find anything about them online- plenty of information on the more recent MS500 gold and the MS400 of the same era. I was wondering if anyone has any information on these speakers - so specifications and power handling etc. I have wired them up and they seem to work with a very rich bass. Any help gratefully received!👍
Old 23rd Sep 2022, 11:05 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Mordant-short MS500 help

I take it the "rich bass" isn't merely the result of the tweeters not working? The Decca ribbons were rated at 30W - the treble component of a 30W signal, of course! - so should be OK at reasonable listening levels. Historically, the mating of a large bass unit with a ribbon tended to risk a "hole in the middle" where the bass cone was breaking up and the tweeter had little power - Peter Walker cited this as the major weakness of his Corner Ribbon, which preceded the ESL57. That said, if they sound good to you, job done!
Old 23rd Sep 2022, 11:18 am   #3
jobsworth
Tetrode

Default Re: Mordant-short MS500 help

Hi Ted! Thanks for your response. The tweeters seem to be functioning in that there is sound coming from them so I assume they are working correctly. The bass units are Celestion. I will continue my experiments but knowing that the tweeter is a 30 watt unit is very helpful. Regards Chris F
Closed Thread