UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2021, 7:13 am   #1
Heinwil1
Triode

Default Garrard RC 90

Morning All,

I am desperate in need of advice. I have a Garrard RC90 that locks up when turned on. As indicated in blue ink that arm "not sure" what its called does not do a full rotation. If any one has a video or some pictures that I can use to compare and see if everything is in its right place I will be greatful.

Regards
Hein
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0482_LI.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	242695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garrard RC90.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	242696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0482.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	242697  
Old 4th Oct 2021, 10:37 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard RC 90

I don’t have any pictures or video’s but the problem is likely to be dried out grease. You will have to dismantle the mechanism, clean off all traces of old grease and oil and re-lubricate.

Take lots of notes and pictures while you dismantle, these decks are not easy to service.

The manual is available from the instant download section at the top right of the page.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 6th Oct 2021, 12:14 am   #3
Parlophone
Triode

I have one of these as an ongoing project. The cam will freeze in place causing nothing to move. The RC 90 also has three idler or drive wheels[!], one of which runs off the pulley and is dedicated only to advancing the changer mechanism. If it goes hard or otherwise slips it simply doesn't drive the changer part and everything grinds to a halt, even if the cam and other bits have been cleaned and lubricated. I'm going get all three wheels renewed at some point and carry on with this. I've rehabilitated an RC 80, RC 88, RC 98 and A70 and the RC 90 is the worst of the lot so far. It is interesting because it has a pitch control similar to the 301.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 2:11 pm   #4
Parlophone
Triode

Did you have any luck getting the RC90 functioning? I've worked on mine and found it far more of a handful than the RC80 and RC88 that I've resurrected in the past. I can get it to play manually but the changer mechanism is giving all kinds of problems despite cleaning and lubrication. I wonder if it was a problem when these units were new? They seem to have been manufactured for only 3 years: 1953 to 1956.
Closed Thread