UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2014, 12:33 pm   #1
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default Alternative to Ebonite former for HF Chokes

I want to make a some HF chokes for experimentation in a TRF receiver I am constructing. I have a copy of F.J. Camm's book "Wireless Coils, Chokes and Transformers" which provides detailed instruction on their construction, but I am stumped getting hold of 6-ribbed Ebonite coil former. At the time of printing (1946), it was obviously easy to obtain, being, "6d. per 4-in. length of 1 in. (outside diameter)."

Ebonite was recommended because its properties in keeping self-capacity down to its lowest possible limit. Has anyone successfully substituted something else easily obtainable, or found a source for the ribbed Ebonite?

Thanks

Nick
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 1:10 pm   #2

Default Re: Alternative to Ebonite former for HF Chokes

Almost any modern plastic will out perform ebonite (both electrically and mechanically), acetal is available in black and machines a treat. 10 minutes on a lathe and there you have a former.

Old 3rd Aug 2014, 1:20 pm   #3
SurreyNick
Heptode

Excellent, thanks
Nick
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 6:22 pm   #4
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Stack alternate large and small diameter faucet/tap washers, held together by a brass bolt through the center holes.
John.
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 7:44 pm   #5
SurreyNick
Heptode

Now that's a clever solution!
Thanks John
Nick
Old 4th Aug 2014, 5:41 pm   #6

Quote:
held together by a brass bolt through the center holes
Best not to have a conductor there, stack up on a wooden (or WHY) stick, glue together with your favorite adhesive. Clever solution as said, because I have a lathe (and some acetal) it didn't occur to me.

Closed Thread