UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2014, 8:00 pm   #1
colourking
Pentode

Default Old outdoor wire Aerial Insulator

Attached pictures of an insulator which had been at the end of a long disused wire radio aerial, I recovered from a roof in the 1990s.

one end has '1957' which I safely assume was year of manufacture
below that is a circled letter P (or could be letter R, as its not clear)

size of this insulator is approx 55mm by 40mm

Anyone know who the manufacturer was and where it was made ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1957insulator-radioaerial-55x40mm-end.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	95402   Click image for larger version

Name:	1957insulator-radioaerial-55x40mm-side.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	95403  
Old 22nd Jul 2014, 1:00 pm   #2
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Old outdoor wire Aerial Insulator

I do not think that it was usual to mark the date of manufacture on such mundane, low tech, non perishable items as small insulators.
I would therefore suspect that 1957 is either a design/patent date or a simple part number and nothing to do with a date.

Such insulators can withstand considerable tension, and have the merit that if they break, that the aerial can not fall but remains supported though not of course insulated.

Similar insulators are still used today to insulate the guy wires attached to poles carrying overhead power cables.
At changes in direction, or at the last pole in a run, there is considerable lateral force on the pole. This is counteracted by a guy wire from near the top of the pole to a ground anchor.
This guy wire SHOULD be at earth voltage as one end is buried and the other is attached to a wooden pole. A strain insulator is often used about half way up the guy wire to prevent the readily touched bottom half becoming live in case a damaged conductor touches the upper part of the guy wire.
Old 22nd Jul 2014, 2:49 pm   #3

Default Re: Old outdoor wire Aerial Insulator

It's a lot too big for a domestic aerial, I guess it was 'won' from a power distribution pole (things this big are used for guy wires). I have a few 'domestic' insulators, they are of the order of 1" long.

Closed Thread