UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2014, 12:46 pm   #1
Studio263
Octode

Default Rifas again

I've had two Rifa capacitors fail this week, both in the usual way (smoke, burning smell that hangs around for ages, equipment keeps on working) in seperate and unrelated pieces of equipment. Could it be the heat that brings this on? Its been really warm down here. Strange; I always thought that it was dampness that caused them to let go.
Old 18th Jul 2014, 12:49 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Rifas again

Humidity has also been quite high, which wouldn't help.

Are the unrelated bits of equipment of a similar age?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Jul 2014, 5:28 pm   #3

Probably a butterfly flapping it's wings in the Amazon, these things go all the time.

Old 18th Jul 2014, 6:39 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Or maybe... the current warm-and-humid spell being accompanied by a high barometric air-pressure. Could this have helped to push damp air in through the cracks in the cap's encapsulation?

[ Don't dismiss this: pressure cycling is a big issue in avionics that spend their lives outside the benign environment of the pressurised passenger/crew-compartment ]
Old 19th Jul 2014, 5:55 pm   #5
Silicon
Nonode

Could it be voltage spikes from the lightning we had recently?
Old 19th Jul 2014, 6:09 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

It could be any of the above, these things don't need much of an excuse to go up in smoke
If I find these in any equipment I work on, they get replaced as a matter of course. I have experienced the foul smell and smoke first hand, it is only a matter of time until they cause a fire!

Mark
Old 19th Jul 2014, 8:46 pm   #7
bobbyball
Octode

I recently had cause to "refurbish" the same mains panel in a similar B&O set and out went the "Rifa" mains filter capacitor - as a matter of course. There are some other filter/isolation capacitors on that board, between the "isolated" and "non isolated" sides of the chopper/EHT transformer. I replaced these too but the repacements, ironically, were Rifa branded, the only make I could find at the time without paying silly money. These are however, of recent production/current stock. As these sets came out around 1980 I guess the original caps have lasted longer than the set maker would have expected the set to be in use for!
Old 24th Jul 2014, 7:33 am   #8
Studio263
Octode

Make that 3, all in the space of a week! I don't think the smell will ever go away, but I may get used to it in time... The eqiupment that failed was:

1) Old Philips oscillocsope (late 70s I think)
2) B&O 77XX TV chassis (early 80s)
3) BBC Micro model B Issue 7 (1984)

Strange business this, assuming that I am not alone I wonder how much old stuff got thrown away last week because it "caught fire"?
Old 24th Jul 2014, 8:56 pm   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

I had one go in the vacuum cleaner about a month ago.
Old 24th Jul 2014, 10:27 pm   #10
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

I think that they develop cracks in their plastic cases as they age, but keep working with the cracks until damp gets in and shorts them out. Long periods of not using an appliance could allow damp to migrate in and get trapped in the paper (explaining why they often like to pop just after switching on when something hasn't been used for a while), or simply high pressure and humid air could do it.
Old 24th Jul 2014, 11:39 pm   #11
Top Cap
Octode

My first day in a repair centre and I was asked to look at a switched mode power pack.
Looking through the vent slots in the case I saw a blackened Rifa that had blown the supply fuse and told the Supervisor I could fix it for less than a couple of quid. Being the new boy I don't think he took me seriously and sent it out for repair. It came back repaired all right but with a repair ticket of £350! We could have bought a new one for less but I didn't care as it taught the idiot a lesson and surprisingly, he accepted every decision I made after that
Old 26th Jul 2014, 4:48 pm   #12
8 Tracker
Hexode

They are everywhere. I bought a couple of Grasslin digital, two-channel, panel mount timers last weekend. I opened them up to check the memory-retention batteries and there sat a very cracked Rifa, directly across the mains input to the transformer. I took them out on each timer, both looked the same. Didn't bother replacing them.

Just for fun, I connected a mains lead to them, stuck them out of the window and switched on. The first one instantly went bang and released the usual foul-smelling smoke. The second lasted about three seconds before exploding. As normal, no flames, which is good news. Kept me amused for a few minutes.
Closed Thread