UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2014, 3:48 pm   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Radial Electrolytic Capacitors

Looking through some old copy's of Elektor , circa mid 70's recently, I noticed that all the electrolytic capacitors in the PCB layouts and pictures are exclusively axials.

This got me to wondering if all capacitors were axial and radial capacitors were made after a certain date. Thats's not including big smoothing caps that is.

On the few amps and radios I've worked on so far I can't recollect seeing any radial caps either. Can anyone elucidate?

Andy.
Old 12th Sep 2014, 4:07 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Radial Electrolytic Capacitors

Andy,

Radials seem to have gradually ousted axials, probably because they're easier to fit to PCBs using automated machinery than the older, axial design.

From what I've seen, they made their appearance in Far Eastern stuff first, probably in the early 1970s, but that's just speculation.

In modernish catalogues, it's common to see axials marked as "not for use in new designs", presumably becaue manufatcurers plan to discontinue them when demand falls below a certain figure.

N.
Old 12th Sep 2014, 5:50 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

Radialls were introduced for use on pcbs and take up much less real-estate on the board. In reality axial capacitors are no more difficult to auto-insert than resistors - they can and are/were both supplied in a tape-and-reel format.
Which leads to the question why no radiall resistors? Apart from those ceramic high power ones of course.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 12th Sep 2014, 6:05 pm   #4
matthewhouse
Octode

You can buy resistors pre formed into a radial design on reels, most resistors are so small that to make them radial with spaces between the wires would probably make the resistor diameter larger which would be pointless. Axial resistors sitting flat on the PCB don't take up much space, and often have to reach over other tracks anyway.

The only old radial electrolytic capacitors I've ever seen have always been the large reservoir and smoothing chassis mount types. The smaller ones are always axial which suits wired chassis and allows them to sit out the way on pcbs. The new caps are much smaller for the same rating so if they are standing they don't look take up huge amounts of vertical space. unless you use those very long thin types shown recently on that TV PSU.
Old 12th Sep 2014, 6:10 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

Thorn used rectangular radial (carbon) resistors using a striped top colour code in radio and audio from the 60's, and larger types for television - axial (with a folded down leg to make it radial). By comparison, all polystyrene caps seemed to be axial, with radials coming later.
Closed Thread