UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2014, 10:43 am   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Can anyone wind an inductor for me please?

Hi there,

This is a scoping-out post, looking for someone who could potentially help me, please, sometime over the next month or so. I am preparing for an autumn/winter project, which is to construct - including the mechanical design - a largish, IGBT-based tesla coil. It is the third in a series I've built over time and uses a now fairly standard switching topology - a beefier version of what's found in some switch-mode power supplies.

I know from previous experience that it is both tedious and difficult without the correct equipment to hand-wind one of the main components. This ends up as an inductor, wound on a former, from about a 20 centimetre length of around 0.1 mm wire (AWG 30, have I got this right?) -- especially as I now don't have a workshop at all. The coil former is one of those fat cardboard postage tubes for small posters. Once the job is done, I will coat this with multiple layers of lacquer -- this soaks into the cardboard - and the end result is a nice, solid and resilient thing whose former is remarkably immune to the effects of the very powerful induced magnetic field.

None of the turns must overlap whatsoever and they must be tight wound. I know someone with the correct equipment could do a far tidier job than I currently can with no access to even a basic workshop!

I'd be very grateful and would come to some kind of barter or reasonable fee arrangement.

Mods, I hope this is the correct section, otherwise please move.

Thanks,

Al

Pic shows smaller version I did for a previous design based on a class E, RF power amplifier and quarter wave antenna. You can clearly see that turns have become spaced apart -- harder to deal with this when using small gauge wire. Sorry, pic uploaded sideways for some reason!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2795.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	97156  

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 4th Sep 2014 at 11:13 am.
Old 5th Sep 2014, 8:38 pm   #2
glowinganode
Octode

Default Re: Can anyone wind an inductor for me please?

If you could post a sketch of exactly what you want, I can wind this for you.

Cheers,
Rob.
Old 6th Sep 2014, 12:23 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hi Rob, thank you! Will post this later today!
Old 6th Sep 2014, 5:06 pm   #4
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinganode View Post
If you could post a sketch of exactly what you want, I can wind this for you.
Thank you Rob...

Here you go. Pictured is the inductor former (the inside tube --outer I can wind myself as only 3 turns of thick wire) which is now lacquered and solid.

I'm also showing the winding wire, which I will supply...

The winding length is 10 inches exactly, tightly wound with no space between turns, single layer.

The grey bar at the top will be partially covered by turns. I will make a small pair of adjacent holes at the top and bottom of the winding length to secure the wire, which should protrude about 5 cm each end. The holes will identify the exact winding length, too.

Once you have very kindly wound the inductor, I will lacquer it several times, which will help avoid flashovers between adjacent turns (the voltage gradient is huge, between the top and the earthy end.)

Do you have some kind of winding jig for this? I really appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inductor former-2812.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	97245   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire-2813.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	97246