UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2014, 2:33 am   #1
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default EL33 Valve test results?

Hi all,

I've seen a test result for an EL33 valve showing- IA: 28.5 GM: 7.6, could anyone tell me if based on those results, is it worth investing in it or is not likely to last very long before giving up the ghost?.

Thanks, paul .
Old 1st Mar 2014, 11:03 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: EL33 Valve test results?

Without knowing what Vg and Va were, the raw numbers are a bit meaningless.

If it was measured as a pentode under its normal class A conditions then it's getting a bit tired, emission is down somewhat.

Having said that, if it's needed to finish a radio that isn't realistically going to be used much, it'll probably last well enough. You could always bias it back even further to give it an easier time of it.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Mar 2014, 11:11 am   #3
Station X

AVO Valve Data says 36mA anode current and 9 mA/V. That's with Vg = -6 and 250V on anode and screen.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Mar 2014, 11:40 am   #4
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi all,

Thanks Graham, thanks Chris, I will give it a try it's all useful info.

Paul .
Old 4th Mar 2014, 1:46 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

I am somewhat sceptical of test results for valves on sites such as ebay:
1. The test equipment is invariably old and may not give accurate results.
2. Unused valves very often contain a small amount of air which takes time (hours) to burn off and it is unlikely the tester will have waited long enough.
3. In some cases test conditions are altered to give the required results.
4. When new there would have been variation in individual valve characteristics as well as differences from manufacturing changes although tolerance is rarely quoted in the datasheets. So test results may not predict the remaining life expectancy.
5. I have seen EL34 valves with virtually all of the gettering evaporated which show good test results - but probably not for long!

If its for a single-ended radio output, cathode biasing is fairly tolerant of valve characteristics and a little loss of gain will not be noticeable.
Closed Thread