UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2020, 8:46 pm   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default 80's TV maker?

Hello all. Been delving in the memory banks. I recall a firm in the 70/80s that had Graff in the name. Seem to remember they made a PIL set so late 70s. But it's very vague apart from that. Any ideas anyone. Ta.
Old 5th Jan 2020, 8:55 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 80s TvMaker

Are you sure it was Graff or Graef?

Could it have been Graetz?? If so they're still around - see https://www.graetzitalia.it/
Old 5th Jan 2020, 9:46 pm   #3
jayceebee
Heptode

It rings a distant bell, could it have been DeGraaff like the generator?
Old 6th Jan 2020, 12:20 am   #4
nigelr2000
Heptode

I have a vague memory that it was one of the warehouse shops like Comets or a supermarket own make
Old 6th Jan 2020, 10:41 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

"De Graaf" apparently. Yes, I suspect it was an upmarket, European-sounding name slapped on cheap (Korean?) VCRs etc.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 11:50 am   #6
jayceebee
Heptode

Just seen one on Ebay and the model number format suggests Granada may have been the outlet to me.
Old 8th Jan 2020, 2:48 pm   #7
bikelectro
Pentode

I used to see it on Sharp VHS machines, it was one of those big rental firms I think.
Old 10th Jan 2020, 2:41 am   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

The WHSHY2 video currently on ebay, looks vaguely Sharpish to me, so that sounds plausible. The type label, printed on blue paper, looks rental as far as I can tell.

Oh wow, found a nice typo! A pinch roller for a Philips Charly deck, described as "Pinch roller for philips bathroom olufsen de Graaf and other vhs vcr" so it seems Philips was also an OEM for De Graaf.
Old 10th Jan 2020, 10:36 am   #9
toshiba tony
Heptode

Jayceebee, what a guy. Granada. Despite having dementia (me, not you) you are right. Thanks, it just wouldn't gel for me. Now Finlandia, all day long. And I seem to remember them doing the Finlux Peacock, but De Graff was a little more obscure. Thanks again. And were they Sharp machines?
Old 13th Jan 2020, 11:23 am   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: 80's TV maker?

Finlandia tended to be Granada's badge of choice for Salora TV chassis up to and including the rare N-chassis. There were certainly a lot of Finlandias flooding the ex-rental market in the Eighties. Not sure if the Finlux Peacock was so badged. As far as I remember that was a retail set that came in with the flood of (to us) obscure European sets in the Seventies colour boom.
I think DeGraaf was sold by Comet. I've certainly seen Sharp VCRs in this disguise from the late Eighties. They weren't just a badge job as the fronts were a bit different, and I think they also were Granada machines. There were also some TVs, Sharp again but possibly others.
Old 13th Jan 2020, 9:20 pm   #11
AJSmith625
Pentode

Default Re: 80's TV maker?

The Finlux Peacock was sold by Currys around 1973/4 as pointed out by Glyn in post 10 above. Not sure if any other TV retailers sold them though. Great pictures when working but the 24 volt LT rail had a habit of drifting causing intermittent colour.

Alan.
Closed Thread