UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2019, 9:01 pm   #41
jayceebee
Heptode

Default Re: Samsung WS-32Z419D CRT TV green not working.

The terms, A1, G2 and screen volts are one and the same. It was always known as A1 or first anode to many until the Japanese influence came along.

The adjustment together with the two focus controls are located on the body of the LOPT. Good luck.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lopt.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	195891  
Old 27th Dec 2019, 11:49 am   #42
simpsons
Octode

Richard

See page 3-27/28 in the Service Manual. Use a mirror to see what happens and note on paper the results to keep you sane!

Because servicing a TV is new to you, for the the "Toshiba Test Pattern" read the grey scale you have shown with the colour turned off.

You will be making very small - incremental adjustments to to the Screen VR control to make the right hand bars black. Because automatic grey scale tracking is employed, the circuits will need to settle down each time you turn the control on the Line Output Transformer. Try clockwise first, following John of Jayceebe instructions.

Should though the CRT chracteristics be now quite different to the original, following the flash you mention and the Screen VR adjustment NOT correct the fault, then return the screen VR control to its original position and adjust the GREEN Cut off Item 7 shown on page 3-7 of the Service Manual via the Service Mode BUT do note the original value which may be different to the figure shown on the page.

I might be temted to adjust the GREEN Cut off first as it is easier to return the adjustment to its original value. It will need increasing in value but watch that the white highlight doesn't become tinted green.

NOTE: The Screen control usually has a ribbed outer and I would use a suitable edge to mark the white reference point with a dot on the LOPT body for alignment.

Chris

PS Because the adjustments are interelated and the complexity of the circuits used in this and other colour TV's I'm afraid it is either personal experience or use of a scope etc to make the adjustments. With the original position of the Screen VR and or Green Cut Off you will always be able to go back to square 1.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 7:42 pm   #43
Snarf81
Heptode

I've tried the Green cut off in the service mode menu, noting all the original settings and I've still got a reddish tint to the screen with the colour off. I also have marked the original position of the screen VR and adjusted that but the problems still occur and the blooming is still present when a bright image is on the screen. I'm afraid that this is as far as I can go with the TV due to lack of knowledge with crt's and it might have to go to recycling. Shame as I really like this set to use with my old vcrs.

Thank you everyone for the advice and pointers etc, I'm very grateful.

Richard.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 8:16 pm   #44
Red to black
Nonode

Just before you give up on this, did you check out what Malc said in post #5 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
If this is the Slimfit model, Check the 3 130k resistors on crt base.
Got to be at least worth a look first surely.

I still personally highly suspect the crt, but cannot categorically prove that as the set is not directly in front of me.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 9:26 pm   #45
simpsons
Octode

Richard

Ignoring blooming just for the moment, just what did adjusting the Screen VR do to the display?

Were the 130K resistors mentioned OK.

Did you follow up advice by Googling "Adjusting CRT Greyscale" for advice?

The red tint may just require turning down the RED cutoff. The point is the Green gun in this and other makes is used as the reference drive and blue and red adjusted leaving Green alone. For some manufacturers Red is the reference drive. There is no reason why following the flash, you don't use the red drive for reference and adjust blue and green.
for correct greyscale.

The blooming you refer to? Is the display getting larger or white changing tint on bright scenes?

Chris

For the display getting larger, then this
Old 28th Dec 2019, 12:01 pm   #46
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's only a matter of moments to swap the 130k resistors over rather than replace them as you probably don't have any of this unusual value. If, say, swapping the red and green ones leaves the picture the same then I'm afraid it's going to be the CRT, but at least you'll be pretty sure.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 3:56 pm   #47
simpsons
Octode

Glyn

Any chance of quoting the circuit reference number for the possible pesky 130k's or are these CRT specific.

On the schematic, from the blackcurrent output pin 5 of the Green Output Chip IC501 R452 is shown as 150k (which parallels R511, 100K) but it is not 130k although there is an asterisk which, for the life of me, I can't see narrated.

Richard,

Don't despair, any chance of the OSD plus grey scale you now have?

These TV's are quite special, no jokes please, there is no other HDMI CRT set available in the UK. Also, 32" widescreen JVC, Philips or Sony with Scarts are big sets and very heavy.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 4:13 pm   #48
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You're right - I thought they were 130k. The resistors are 100k, optionally shunted by 150k, which of course makes 60k. Anyway, the resistors are R511, 506 and 510, with the optional shunts designated R542,543 and 544. Of course, these values might not be what's fitted to your set - go with what's there and see if they measure the same.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 4:18 pm   #49
stevehertz
Dekatron

Can I just say, I think a lot of the very well meant advice is, to some extent at least, going over Richard's head. By his own admission, Richard has limited knowledge and ability and is struggling to find this fault. I don't know what the answer is (ie the way forwards) but like I say, I keep seeing well meaning but 'higher level' advice that - and Richard can correct me if I'm wrong! - he is unable execute and/or fully understand. That is the message I'm getting. Apologies to all if I'm wrong but I'm just trying to put a 'leveller' on this thread to the benefit of everyone, that's all.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 4:19 pm   #50
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
On the schematic, from the blackcurrent output pin 5 of the Green Output Chip IC501 R452 is shown as 150k (which parallels R511, 100K) but it is not 130k although there is an asterisk which, for the life of me, I can't see narrated.
It is these two resistors connected in parallel to pin 9 of the TDA6111Q IC (for the green gun), this is the feedback input for that IC, the corresponding resistors for the other guns are connected to the same pin of that guns relevant IC.

Don't forget there are a few changes across the various different versions/models and revisions of this type of set, Malc just was probably quoting one version he recalled of the top of his head, these are the ones in that particular manual, Richards set may differ again to what is actually fitted.

We forget that because we were/are TV engineers that novices such as Richard would understand what we meant, guilty as charged I am afraid

Edit: cross posted with both Glyn and Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDA6111Q.pdf (85.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Red to black; 28th Dec 2019 at 4:28 pm.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 7:06 pm   #51
simpsons
Octode

PM Sent suggesting a TV buff BVWS Member local to Smurf might help.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 7:44 pm   #52
Red to black
Nonode

What would really help is someone local with a crt analyser.
Secondly if Richard (Snarf) didn't understand something he could have easily asked one of us, no shame in asking for clarification on something you don't understand, which we all knew he wasn't comfortable with, (that is how we all learned things).

It might have helped if he had said he wasn't sure of reading circuit diagrams of which Samsung are not the best to follow, no disgrace in that either btw. Also coupled to the fact that there is huge variation in between exact models and the manual listed might not have matched his exact set, that is a big ask in itself with someone already possibly out of their depth.

These are complex sets, and I hope I have not made anyone feel uncomfortable here, especially after Steve's comment earlier, I could have been a bit more helpful for sure, but without turning each post into a volume of "war and peace" I did try to help.

Glad all the same that someone more clued up is going to have a second opinion, I for one would like to know the outcome.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 8:30 pm   #53
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi all.
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, all this technical jargon is going over my head but I'm trying to learn these things. Firstly I'll try and locate and swap over the resistors that have been mentioned after I locate where they are...Haha.

I'll let you know the outcome of that when I'm able to get around to it as I'm trying to deal with a pile of beta/vhs decks that need the usual rubber components replacing. Hopefully early in the new year I can get around to it and (hopefully) get it repaired!

Thanks for the replies all!

Cheers
Richard.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 8:33 pm   #54
Red to black
Nonode

Cheers, Richard we are on your side
I am sometimes guilty of speaking to you in the third person not meant that way I assure you
Old 29th Dec 2019, 6:35 pm   #55
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If it helps, they're on the CRT base near the three ICs on heatsinks. The numbers should be beside them. You might need to carefully remove the CRT base to make access easier.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 6:45 pm   #56
Red to black
Nonode

They are on the tube base PCB, whether a pair in parallel, or singly, depending on what is actually fitted in your set are connected to pin 9 of that guns driver IC, the same resistor/s counterpart will apply to each gun.
If you need further help identifying then post both a close-up picture of the component side of that board and the print (back) side and one of us will try to point them out for you.
Old 31st Dec 2019, 8:50 pm   #57
davyrocket2
Pentode

I think it would do no harm for Richard to have a look on certain websites gumtree or others he may be able to find a another one same model that has less use than his one ,or is there another make or model that has the same tube
Old 31st Dec 2019, 9:40 pm   #58
Red to black
Nonode

The slim-fit tube was unique to that range of models, they were really the last development of CRT technology, having a wider deflection angle than many others, they really were the transition sets bridging the gap between 'flat panels' and crt, even the front styling was very 'flat panel' whilst still using a tube.
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 1:01 am   #59
simpsons
Octode

It has been my experience that it is the highlights of a CRT display which suffer on a low emission CRT. Given the pictures in post 22 show good rendition of colour bars and only slight tint on the black and white image, I see correcting the grey scale not replacing the tube as the first priority.

Without pictures of how the A1 adjustment affected the image, clockwise and anti clockwise its not possible advise further/

Chris
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 7:02 pm   #60
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi all. I'm laid up with tonsilitis and a chest infection so I've not been able to look at the TV again. In a few weeks when I'm better then I'll get the TV back out and have the back off again and post some more pictures and details.

Many thanks again for all the help! I'm very grateful for it.

Best wishes
Richard.
Closed Thread