UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:38 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Ferguson 3V29 take up reel not turning

Hi,

Hopefully a quick thread, does anyone know what could cause the take up reel to not turn during play back? It spins fine fast forwarding and rewinding, but in play back it seizes, and chews up tape. If I press play and hold fast forward, it spins, with a picture on screen, but letting go of fast forward stops the reel.

I've replaced every belt I could see apart from the small tape counter belt and the one for the loading mechanism, which are in good condition.

I've spent all evening trying to see what it could be, but I can't find the answer, and there doesn't seem to be much online that's of any use to me.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
'77
Old 24th Jan 2020, 9:26 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3V29 take up reel not turning

This will be idler problem or the rubber tyre.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 1:20 pm   #3
mark2collection
Hexode

The 3V29 has three idler wheels, one which does FF/Rew/Tape take-up during unlace and, another dual idler system for playback take-up.

Remove the covers, press eject & look under the cassette housing to the right of the take-up spool. You should see two smaller idlers, one which move towards the take-up spool & a fixed one which also has a small belt for the tape counter.

Likely to need new tyres, or the felt has disintegrated on the device which drives the counter (and hence the smaller idler).

Good luck, when working they're great machines. Apologies if it's not as described, been a good number of years since a 3V** came into the workshop.

Mark
Old 24th Jan 2020, 1:47 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

All you ever need to know about these in this PDF: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...2&d=1401009755
Old 24th Jan 2020, 4:33 pm   #5
astravision
Diode

It's most likely the take up idler tyre that's perished/ worn, it has a nylon arm with a pivot in the middle and a spring just under the idler wheel. There is one for sale on eBay about £8 about 5 times what we used to buy them for a good few years ago. Best of luck.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 6:26 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

You're right about the idler, it's basically turned to plastic, and not gripping. I did bodge it a little, by attaching a belt round the take up spool, and the top of the idler wheel assembly, this got the take up reel to turn, and a tape to play, but not very well.

I'll order the idler assembly astravision mentioned, and fingers crossed I'm left with a fully functional 3v29.

Thanks for your help all, I really appreciate it
'77
Old 26th Jan 2020, 8:37 am   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi there. Check the take-up idler drive belt (number 31) which is located at the bottom side of the deck. To access it you have to remove the bottom cover and unscrew the large PCB. It's a relatively thin belt so it's the first one to become stretched on these machines.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 9.35.34 AM.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	197774  
Old 26th Jan 2020, 4:20 pm   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

I have replaced that belt, I think that controls the fast forward/rewind idler, which is in between the two reels.

It was actually okay, but a section of it was splitting, so I replaced it.

Thanks
'77
Old 26th Jan 2020, 10:43 pm   #9
nigelr2000
Heptode

Item 30 has nothing to do with the FR idler as that is driven direct from the FR motor bottom middle, item 30 is only engaged during playback to supply the drive to the take up reel via the built in clutch and is driven from the capstan motor, next to item 32 via the belt shown as item 31 the FR motor is only powered during unlacing to take up the slack and does not run in playback unless you select forward or reverse picture search when it is engaged to run the relevant reel at high speed.
Closed Thread