UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:09 am   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Brenell Mk.5 TR.

Hello everybody I just thought I would run this past you to see what you thought and ask for any advice. Brief history is that my father bought this in 1959 and it was in use until 1978. I inherited it in 1980. The Reslo (?) mike and transformer were missing. Having found some tapes of Dads thought I would listen to them But It has died so it seems.
It is a Mk5 with a level meter.
The amp works, with a mike.Plenty of volume with just a trace of distortion when turned right up.
Turned to record the level meter works .
Turned to play back there is nothing recorded , if the volume is turned up above half way then there is a lot of hum and if turned up more then what sounds like motor boating and is too bad to keep it there too long.
The erase and P/R heads measure OK and are clean.
I know Dad had it repaired in about 1970 but I dont know what was done. I can't see anything burnt or nasty the only thing I have done is replace the smoothing block, 50 + 50 at 500 volts as it didn't want to reform.
It hasn't been used for something like 25 years approx.
Sorry for the long post I do tend to ramble on.
Cheers and thank you.
Geoff.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:32 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Brenell Mk.5 TR.

I would check that the record switch is moving fully into place and give it a shot of switch cleaner.
Then have another go.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 5:25 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Thank you for that.The switches have been cleaned and a couple of things found, more of which later when a valve and a pot have arrived. One thing that I do not fully understand is that there is a 'humdinger' pot ( not the one I have ordered.) that has to be fully turned to one end and that does cut the hum down 90%. It measures correctly but the adjustment is very critical. (150 ohm.)
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 9:50 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

There might be a heater to cathode short if if the hum pot is near the end of its range. Not tricky to sort if you have a valve tester.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 10:23 pm   #5
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello again refugee thank you.I did test all the valves apart from 1 and that one has no discernible markings, the EL84 was borderline. On order.
The unmarked valve looked like a ECC83 but may well not be, there does seem to be variations in circuits/models and I have yet to find anything that matches. I did not want to damage the unknown valve.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0043.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	65741  

Last edited by Geoff 555; 25th Apr 2012 at 10:26 pm. Reason: Signature went missing.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 11:36 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I had a quick look at the radio museum website and it says there is an ECC83 in it.
I would be tempted to have a look at the valve museum and check the connections and voltages against there data sheet.
Old 26th Apr 2012, 12:52 pm   #7
Geoff 555
Heptode

Thanks. Quick one because I am late not supposed to be here. There is a ECC83 and a ECC81 And XXXXX one with no marking. I will try your suggestion and get some voltages.Later.
Cheers.
Geoff
Old 29th Apr 2012, 11:56 am   #8
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi sorry for the delay, despite items being listed as available I have just had mail stating no stock so there will be a delay. I will be back shortly.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread