UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2019, 2:31 pm   #1
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Grundig CN510 cassette recorder

I don't usually post in this area of the forums, but as part of my restoration of a Grundig Studio RPC350 music centre I'm going to have to get into some more involved mechanical repairs to the modular CN510 cassette recorder that's installed.

The main issue I have is that one of the plastic gears is falling apart and feels like it's made from hard wax. I'm waiting for my email to co-operate and then can post photos of the glued together remains (for measurement purposes).

As it's a fairly deep dish gear I'm not sure if a generic replacement would suffice, so I'm hoping to find some more info on the mechanism, if it was an in-house design/build or a proprietary deck etc. Other than this, any other info on the machine at all would be interesting to me since I'm really liking the solid build and some of the engineering solutions within the music centre as well as the cassette recorder itself.

From what I can make out it should be 83 teeth, the shaft size is 2mm, outside diameter 24mm (root of teeth) 24.5mm (peak of teeth) and has a dish of around 4.5mm.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	180704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	180705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	180706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0933.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	180707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	180708  

Last edited by ekjdm14; 1st Apr 2019 at 2:47 pm.
Old 1st Apr 2019, 3:17 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig CN510 cassette recorder

Have you seen this listing?
Old 1st Apr 2019, 3:30 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

I wonder if any forum member has previously tried the new gear as suggested in Ben’s listing? As you can see it will fit many Grundig models from the 70s. This is a very common problem, I must have at least 6 machines that need this gear. Sorely tempted to try it....

Peter
Old 1st Apr 2019, 5:42 pm   #4
ekjdm14
Banned

I don't know about the one linked as it was in Russian & my internet wouldn't load pics but the seller's name is familiar as being the one I saw selling gears when I searched & pinch rollers for these decks. For the moment I've amazed myself and got the thing working using superglue & baking soda to keep the gear in shape.

There's still issues as I don't have rewind/review but other than that (and a ground loop that threw me for a few minutes when testing plugged into my Vega 206) the machine is working for now. I'll likely have to splash out on one of the £20 jobbies eventually but if it makes the cassette deck reliable for another 40 years it'll be well worth it. I'd also be interested to hear experiences from anyone who's used the supplier mentioned.

They seem very well engineered machines and nicely built with the serviceman in mind, speaking of service I checked some of the electrolytics I could pull easily and all but 1 tested better than some new ones so they went back in!
Old 1st Apr 2019, 6:11 pm   #5
Reelman
Octode

This is a link to the current offering of this gear by this seller in English.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-for-...4AAOSwUP5cSX35

I’ve ordered one. Another item to do on the pile!

Peter
Old 1st Apr 2019, 9:25 pm   #6
ekjdm14
Banned

I know that feeling (well, maybe not to the degree where I have 6 waiting their turn!) But there's plenty of busy evenings worth of projects currently sat downstairs, the Grundig though has jumped the queue by dint of it's solid quality and good looks.

Depending how quickly the rest of the system comes into shape, I'll either await your report on quality/fitment of the gear or, more likely than not, end up buying one also in the next few days.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 2:43 am   #7
camtechman
Nonode

If you scan down on the item on Ebay, you'll see he has other gears too.