UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2019, 4:44 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Tandberg 15 putrid smell!

Hi!

I tested my Tandberg 15 I won in September last year – the level meter lights up in record and there was an assortment of ghastly noises from the amplifier on playback, followed by a nasty smell of cremating!!!

Will that only be the dreaded Rifa type supressor cap/resistor or do other items have incendiary tendencies in these?

I bought an Original Factory S.M. with the orange cover so hopefully identification of remains won't be an issue!

Chris Williams
Old 12th Mar 2019, 5:31 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 15 putrid smell!

It could be a Rifa that's let-out the magic smoke; alternatively it could be an electrolytic that's done likewise.

I'm not familiar with the particular recorder's circuit but many 1950s/1960s electronics included Selenium rectifiers in place of the traditional valve - these were often in the form of a flat aluminium-cased package that's bolted to the chassis to aid heat-dissipation, and they make a truly unforgettable smell when they fail!
Old 12th Mar 2019, 6:13 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Yes, if the smell was like terrible flatulence or a stink bomb then it was the selenium rectifier dying. Be careful if that's the case, as the gas is actually poisonous as well as smelling disgusting.
Old 12th Mar 2019, 6:46 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

It didn't smell like selenium going off – I've come across hundreds of L.T. selenium bridge reccys in all sorts of record–players, table radios, 'grams and industrials over the years and I've never had a stinky one!

(There's always a first time tho', and I have had windings in continental motors and transformers go off like I was smelling!)

I'm hoping it's not the early versions that had a h.t. winding for brakes & solenoids – if that's gone I'll have to cross Ed's palm with (quite a lot of!!) silver!

Chris Williams

PS!

The rectified L.T. line has got "+40V" marked on the circuit drawing, so a 15–0–15V @ 2A transformer ought to do if I do need a new one!

Last edited by Chris55000; 12th Mar 2019 at 6:52 pm.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 10:52 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

I have worked on plenty of this model and the only cause of burning has been the Rifa cap across the motor stop /tape end sense switch (on top of the transformer) and on another occasion a bias oscillator transistor.

Open it up, clean the rec-pb switch contacts gently with some contact spray on a q tip, work switch 30 times. That should sort the noises. Then plug in again and observe, being ready to yank the plug if things get hairy!

These are transistorized units from circa 1970 and I don't recall seeing a selenium rectifier in them. If you post your serial number I can check. Production continued as late as the 80s!

EDIT> The rectifier does appear to be a selenium type, at least in the early models - see attached schematic. You should change it if there is the foul smell! Then check with a series limiter resistor or lamp. It may of course have died of old age, but there could be a fault downstream in the regulator or amp. I attach the relevant section from the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tandberg s15 psu.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	179850  

Last edited by ben; 13th Mar 2019 at 11:01 am.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 1:54 pm   #6
ricard
Octode

I had a model 15 where the motor was wired for 110V even though the machine itself was wired for 230V. Oddly enough, the motor behaved as expected, except for the fact that the windings got very hot so it emitted a burning smell without getting so hot that the enamel on the coil wires would char.

After rewiring the motor for 230V, it worked fine. Strange. It didn't look like the motor had been replaced either, so I'm assuming it was a manufacturing error at the factory.

I'd say otherwise the most likely cause of a bad smell is the Rifa cap (or actually, it's a capacitor and resistor combo, see Ben's schematic excerpt above) across the motor switch.
Old 7th Jul 2019, 12:36 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Bumping this. Got another one of these myself on the bench with suspected leaky silicon rectifier, to be confirmed tomorrow. I wonder would this circuit, especially c125, take kindly to a drop-in silicon bridge, or would a series resistor be prudent? There also seems to be an NTC, which would suggest the designers were cautious about inrush current.
Old 7th Jul 2019, 11:55 am   #8
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I would think that a little silicon bridge would be all right. The silicon bridge may give a very little increased voltage but there is resistance in the transformer to limit the inrush current.
Closed Thread