UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2019, 1:54 am   #1
BentSlightly
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dapy D-50 Transparent Neon Cassette Player Issues

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been repairing machines of all kinds my whole life. I've got an interesting issue with this Dapy D-50 that I am restoring. I've put in new belts several times in other units, but since there's a neon tube in the unit I feel that I may have a grounding issue as well, making this a unique situation.

When I play back the tape the highs are slightly garbled, and it plays slow at moments, almost like a light phasing issue. When I fast forward or rewind I get a hum, when I hold it in my lap the hum goes away, but playback is still not the best.

I'm just not sure that tighter bands will solve this.

I've included a video, and welcome any information you find pertinent.

Thank you in advance. https://youtu.be/wprbbPPYk7c
Old 7th Mar 2019, 10:36 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dapy D-50 Transparent Neon Cassette Player Issues

The warbling sound is called "flutter".

If the belts are OK, the transport is clean, and the capstan/flywheel and pinch roller spin freely, then you might want to try swapping the motor.

Another thing to check would be that the take-up torque (RH spool) isn't too high.

Nick.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:08 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

The mechanism used there is a Tanashin type, the cheapest and nastiest around. There are various common reasons for flutter:
-The pause latch lever.Located below the capstan flywheel, this spring loaded lever fractures and brushes against the rotating wheel, causing that flutter (wobble) on playback.
-The take up clutch. This fails and gives excessively high torque. You would hear flutter in this case. Usually you also get creasing or other tape damage, especially at tape start.
- The drive belt. If it has been sitting for a long period like over a year it will get 'elbows'.
- As Nick says the motor is not above suspicion.
- The capstan flywheel in some of these is little more than plastic, so even when working well they have poor wow and flutter specs. Shouldn't be as bad as the video though.

HTH
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:17 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Yes sounds like flutter. Seems like good advice already offered. You might also check the pinch roller rubber is in good shape, hasnt gone hard and has correct pressure against the capstan shaft.

Obviously the cassette needs to be in good condition, not jamming internally. Sometimes cassettes go sticky, binding against the head. One small problem might not be enough to cause a problem by itself, but a few can add up to create flutter.
Old 11th Mar 2019, 1:38 am   #5
BentSlightly
Retired Dormant Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all of your advice!

I've followed up on all recommendations possible to varying degrees of success, I can take this thing apart blindfolded at this point.
I took the motor apart and it seemed fine, not experiencing any major power fluctuations, and runs silent even before lubrication, cleaned the capstan roller, cleaned the capstan, lubricated the play bar.

Then it hit me. The gear to the capstan was on much tighter the first time I removed it, it spins but doesn't truly grip like it once did. I held the capstan still with my fingers, and saw give in the gear. What product would be best to use in the situation to fasten these together better in a semi-permanent manner? Thread lock? Super glue? Epoxy?

Thanks again!
Old 12th Mar 2019, 4:20 am   #6
BentSlightly
Retired Dormant Member

All good, I fixed it and it sounds GREAT!
Thanks for your help.
Old 12th Mar 2019, 9:49 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done!
Closed Thread