UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2019, 6:47 pm   #1
Cont3mplation
Triode

Default No power to Sony Walkman WM-EX501

Hi all, recently bought a non working but good condition WM-EX501 Walkman, hoping to get it fixed up and enjoy a good Walkman for cheap. Repair hasn't been as simple as I hoped however and wondering if I could get some advice from someone more expert than me. Having scraped the battery contacts and put a new battery in there's no lights or playback at all, battery light included is dead. Opening it up the belt is in good condition and the battery connections seem good. Would I be correct in saying this is most likely a power issue?
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 8:19 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: No power to Sony Walkman WM-EX501

It should be easy enough to work your way back from the battery with a DVM (voltmeter) to test for where the voltage disappears.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 10:23 pm   #3
Cont3mplation
Triode

That's what I had thought, but testing a number of places on the board it seems to be there
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 10:30 pm   #4
Cont3mplation
Triode

There is two small switches it seems that had a piece of tape shoved into them seemingly to keep them together labelled "TAPE" and "ATS", could this be related?
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 10:36 pm   #5
Cont3mplation
Triode

Ah hah! Having shorted those pins the motor enabled fine, seems those contacts are just too damaged on top
Closed Thread