UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2015, 6:15 pm   #1
david winter
Hexode

Default Advice on Ferguson 3261

Hello,

I would like to know if a working Ferguson 3261 is worth keeping or if it's only one of many general purpose 4-track decks with low value and/or quality.
In term of value, it's only a matter of getting my investment back on the parts as I would restore it myself.
In term of qualirty, to tranfer non-musical tapes like family recordings, etc.

Thanks,

David
Old 26th Oct 2015, 10:42 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Advice on Ferguson 3261

Don't know that exact model, but if it is anything like this then it is , as you supposed, a basic domestic recorder. The 4 track one had 3.75 and 1 7/8 ips which make it a bit more versatile, but the maximum reel size is 5.75". This plus the low speed/ 'low fi' make it of more limited appeal.

I like them though. That Thorn deck is reliable, has nice control keys and auto stop. It will probably just need a bit of cleaning and greasing. These units are handy for playing little spools that could be tricky on bigger and better machines.

Maybe you could post a photo to confrm if it is the one I'm describing!
Old 26th Oct 2015, 11:13 am   #3
quiberon
Triode

It was also marketed under the Marconiphone brand name as model 4261. I believe it is from the late 60's to early 70's. It Is stereo and has three speeds and takes up to 7" spools, the deck mechanics are DC432 (schedule B) and can be operated vertically.

If you visit your local reference library and search the "Newnes TV and Radio Servicing" books, you should be able to find some information.

I had a Ferguson 3258 which used the same basic mechanics, though it was only single speed and didn't have solenoid operation. When it wore out I dismantled it, some of the parts I still have stored away in a box, along with some never used parts which were purchased a spares, i.e. Piano keys, belts, spool retainers etc..

If I could have
Old 26th Oct 2015, 2:57 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiberon View Post

If I could have
You would have........?

Once spent a few days of a summer holiday on the Presqu'ile
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Oct 2015, 7:01 pm   #5
quiberon
Triode

Quote:
If I could have
That is an editing remnant I missed before posting.
Old 26th Oct 2015, 8:04 pm   #6
david winter
Hexode

Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151003_150203.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	114776  
Old 26th Oct 2015, 8:29 pm   #7
paulsherwin

I'm not familiar with it, but it looks like quite a high quality domestic deck. It shouldn't cost a lot to sort it out. What are the problems with it at present?
Old 26th Oct 2015, 10:37 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

It is not the one I'm thinking of above. Disregard previous post!

As Paul says, this is a nice unit. No Revox, but three speed and stereo, so worth fixing.
Old 27th Oct 2015, 7:46 am   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

Looks like only two heads, though ..... and pressure pads, no easy access with the chinagraph for editing purposes. And only a simple tone control. Mutton dressed as lamb.

If I were a cynical person, I might think this machine was aimed at the parents of the kid who really wanted an Akai 4000 DS -- and might well have ruined several people's Christmases!
Old 27th Oct 2015, 9:31 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I agree with Julie (and seeing those metal reels reminded me of a Metro with alloy wheels!), but also with the others that feel it's worthy of restoration.

Does it have a built-in loudspeaker and power amp?

I wonder whether it's a true BRC/Thorn product, or whether it's badged? The meters have a very Japanese appearance.

Nick.
Old 27th Oct 2015, 9:51 am   #11
quiberon
Triode

Yes it does have speakers and a five watts per channel power amp.

At the time that the 3261 was released, I think they were still trading as "British Radio Corporation" (BRC), they became "Thorn Consumer Electronics" (TCE) a little later.

Last edited by quiberon; 27th Oct 2015 at 9:59 am.
Old 27th Oct 2015, 9:53 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks, that's interesting.
Old 27th Oct 2015, 11:16 am   #13
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

I do like these Thorn DC432 (two head) stereo machines and have four myself! The DC432 stereo tape deck used is based on the (mono) DC43 and is very similar. They were designed and made in Britain. The only belt used is for the tape counter and the rubber idler wheels and pinch roller do not tend to suffer the same "gooey" or "rock hard" fate as those in some other manufacturer's decks.

The electronics is silicon based, but with AD161/162 output stages. Proper frequency response compensation is provided for all three speeds and there is a separate bias oscillator.

The DC432 "Schedule B" decks had a third solenoid, which disengaged the intermediate wheel that couples the drive from the motor pulley to the capstan flywheel, when the unit was switched off. This was to prevent "flats" forming on the intermediate wheel.

As has been said before, they are not in the same league as Revox/Uher, but they are certainly at the upper end of the domestic market.

I can scan and post the technical spec for these recorders if anyone asks.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 28th Oct 2015, 12:10 pm   #14
brenellic2000
Octode

As Dazzelvision says, this is a British-designed and well-made DC series deck - a very reliable top-end domestic model - though the '3261' is new to me and, with the sliding controls, clearly a very late model. These were superseded in 1970 by a new series Thorn deck with left-hand keyboard designed by a new deck-engineer from Philips. (Thorn's long standing deck-engineer had moved to Truvox). Being ex-Philips and with Thorn's moved into Europe (now offered only under the 'Ferguson' label (Marconi was used very occassionally in the UK) it is likely they may have had a foreign design influence, but they were UK-built and marketed as "BRC Engineered". Open reel deck production ended in 1973.
Old 28th Oct 2015, 7:05 pm   #15
quiberon
Triode

Quote:
I had a Ferguson 3258 which used the same basic mechanics, though it was only single speed and didn't have solenoid operation. When it wore out I dismantled it, some of the parts I still have stored away in a box, along with some never used parts which were purchased a spares, i.e. Piano keys, belts, spool retainers etc..
To correct the above quote from my earlier post:

The Ferguson 3258 deck mechanics were DF415, so the parts I have are also for DF415.
======

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
As Dazzelvision says, this is a British-designed and well-made DC series deck - a very reliable top-end domestic model - though the '3261' is new to me and, with the sliding controls, clearly a very late model. These were superseded in 1970 by a new series Thorn deck with left-hand keyboard designed by a new deck-engineer from Philips. (Thorn's long standing deck-engineer had moved to Truvox). Being ex-Philips and with Thorn's moved into Europe (now offered only under the 'Ferguson' label (Marconi was used very occassionally in the UK) it is likely they may have had a foreign design influence, but they were UK-built and marketed as "BRC Engineered". Open reel deck production ended in 1973.
That explains the dejavu when looking at a thread on the Philips N4308 over on tapeheads.net. there is a remarkable similarity with some parts of the BRC "DD/DF" series decks.
Old 29th Oct 2015, 11:47 am   #16
brenellic2000
Octode

I've never looked inside these last models - I presume the photo in the tapeheads.net is very similar?

I was very satisfied with my old mono Marconiphone 4210 but when I did look at these new models new, they did appear to me to be of an inferior design and construction....
Old 29th Oct 2015, 1:37 pm   #17
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
I was very satisfied with my old mono Marconiphone 4210 but when I did look at these new models new, they did appear to me to be of an inferior design and construction....
I completely agree!
Old 29th Oct 2015, 2:05 pm   #18
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I bought a 3258 when I was a teenager as a stereo replacement for my old Grundig TK124. What a disappointmenr! The deck was noisy and clearly not a patch on the old Grundig. Unlike the 3261 the piano keys were on the left, but the on'off switch and slider controls were from the same cheap stable. Although a later model number, the 3261 appears to be cobbled together from earlier machines. But agreed - nowhere near as well made as the old machines.
Old 29th Oct 2015, 2:32 pm   #19
brenellic2000
Octode

The 3258 had auto-record levels (set for music or speech, if I remember correctly) which struck me as odd for an open reel deck. But I guess Thorn was committed to 'cassettes are the future'! Most British tape-deck production came to an end in the early 1970s. At least Thorn made a very good cassette deck...
Old 29th Oct 2015, 2:39 pm   #20
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Although a later model number, the 3261 appears to be cobbled together from earlier machines. But agreed - nowhere near as well made as the old machines.
Well, apart from the slider pots and push-push power switch, the 3261 (and 4261 - Marconiphone version) are electrically and mechanically identical to the earlier models with dual concentric rotary pots. It still uses the Thorn DC432 tape deck and electronics, with the piano keys on the right hand side - not to be confused with Thorn's last open reel tape deck, with the piano keys on the left.

I think Thorn switched to slider pots because they were "all the range" at the time (just look at the contemporary UK made colour TV sets).
Closed Thread