UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2015, 4:09 pm   #1
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony TC399

Hello, my Sony TC399 has started not spooling onto the take up reel, when going into play. It will sometimes work perfectly and play a tape both sides no problem, sometimes it will be playing and the take up reel will suddenly stop and the tape ends up on the floor. The belts are new and everything is clean. I haven't had the hub apart yet, The maintenance diagram suggests a clutch made from felt and lots of thin washers and a circlip. any thoughts? thanks.
I've owned this a good while and its only just started this. Thanks.
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 5:05 pm   #2
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: Sony TC399

Hello It is "Mr Service" time.
The take up spool is driven off the capstan flywheel and if the belt is good then it is down to the slipping clutch thingy.
Have a prod around with the take up see how much torque is there..........you know

Gary
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 5:13 pm   #3
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Also check the right tape guide for wear or oxide coating.

Colin.
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 9:19 pm   #4
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

thanks , yes i looked at the innerds of the reel table and added some sticky backed felt pieces to the large felt ring already in place, this has cured the problem, plenty of torque now had to experiment a fair bit with different thickneses but eventually got it right with other functions rew ff, unimpaired. thanks for youre help.
Old 24th Oct 2015, 12:29 am   #5
sp10mk11
Octode

glad to help, great machines aswell
Old 24th Oct 2015, 12:41 am   #6
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

yes, i like the 399s great machine!
Closed Thread