UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2015, 5:00 pm   #1
Quicksilver
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N4307 Tape Recorder

Hi,
Can you give me any advice on my parents tape recorder, Philips N4307.
I'm trying to restore it back to working order, it's functional and I've fitted it with new belts (set of 4). The only problem seems to be that the tape doesn't pull properly on the right hand side. It seems to lack pulling power and doesn't move properly ie pulling the tape after it passes the play head onto it's spool, hence leaving the tape itself to become loose. In other words, when in play mode, the tape doesn't go around the spool on the right hand side - it's not taut.
I've tried cleaning the circular areas where the belts go around, and it's in a fairly good clean state. The goo left on it from the previous belts was a nightmare to get off.
I haven't any idea of what to do at this stage,
Can you help please?
Thanks in advance

PS. After taking the circular top off the right hand side where the spool fits over, taking me to where the belts are fitted, the top circular part is loose to the bottom half which is affixed to the mechanism of the recorder. Could it be that it needs gluing?
Old 20th Oct 2015, 5:32 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4307 Tape Recorder

No, the spool carriers are meant to be in two pieces. The belt / idler drives the bottom section in PLAY / RECORD, and the top section is coupled to it by a simple friction clutch -- usually pads of rubber or cork. This is necessary because the tape is being paid out at a constant speed (usually 9.5 cm./sec), but the diameter onto which it is being wound is increasing all the time. (The top section is driven directly in WIND / REWIND, bypassing the clutch).

It sounds as though your friction linings have deteriorated. Replacements can be crafted from suitable materials.
Old 20th Oct 2015, 6:57 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

The clutch, under the right hand (take up) turntable is made of a translucent material and you should be able to see the four "friction blocks" (as Philips call them) inside the clutch assembly.

These friction blocks usually suffer the same fate as the drive belts; they turn into a black sticky "goo". You should be able to see if that is the case.

If it is, they will need to be replaced [as will the four friction blocks in the supply (left hand) turntable clutch].

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 20th Oct 2015, 9:44 pm   #4
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

the clutch can be simply glued together,

the rubber inserts were just meant to "freewheel" the clutches during fast forward (right hand clutch) and rewind (left hand clutch) to reduce drag, but in my experience they works just as fine with the two halves glued together, especially if the recorder has a new, tight belt
Closed Thread