UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2015, 3:10 pm   #1
lambretta
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fidelity BSR tape TD1

Have recently acquired this machine. Got all the mechanics working but the sound was not good. Replaced the magic eye EM84 as the old one didn't work, and also replaced the ECL86. Put the machine back together and now I have practically no volume, maybe 15%. Rather than improve the volume I have made things worse! any ideas would be gratefully received.

Alan G0JDU
Old 17th Oct 2015, 3:25 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Fidelity BSR tape TD1

Do you have a model number or name? TD1 is the designation of the deck.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Oct 2015, 5:37 pm   #3
lambretta
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Graham, its the tape deck that was used by a lot of different manufacturers during the 60s Monarch and Argyll and Fidelity. This one has Defiant written on it. There are no ID plates, or any identification anywhere on the deck or on the cabinet. It uses 5 3/4" spools. The right hand control does play, rewind and F/F, with left hand control for rec only when locked in place with right hand control in play. I will try and send a photo of it. Also can you tell me what I need to do to post directly on to the forum instead of through the private post?
Old 17th Oct 2015, 6:53 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

First question- did you replace the coupling capacitor to the grid of the ECL86 pentode?

Was the replacement ECL86 known good from a reputable source? They're not the most robust of valves and getting expensive.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Oct 2015, 8:00 pm   #5
paulsherwin

As Chris implies, changing the the valves wasn't the best thing to do as the originals may have been fine.

Have you tried refitting the original valves and seeing what happens? Have you changed any other components or done any other work?

This BSR deck was used in the majority of British made cheap domestic recorders of the 60s. The standard head cover has 'BSR' over a graphic, but manufacturers could have their own made with their own logos and graphics. Although basic, it is a good performer given its market segment.
Old 17th Oct 2015, 10:09 pm   #6
lambretta
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.
When I got the machine the fast forward and rewind didn't work and on inspection both rear captive capstans were seized. The volume was not quite as loud as I remembered. Anyway fixed them and added a dab of copper grease for good measure and figured whilst about it I would change the valve [ECL86]. I was told that this was the most likely culprit and hopefully improve the audio level.

I also replaced the magic eye [EM84] as this wasn't working. The machine also has a superimpose button, light and 2 track ability. So I plugged it in, turned it on the magic eye now works and I have full F/F and rewind and play & record, but have now lost most of the audio and when I put it in record mode I can hear any input into the mike coming out of the speaker and it's not wiping off the previous recording. I refitted the original ECL86 but the problem is still there oh hum. I wonder if I should put the old EM84 back in even though it doesn't work. I have not replaced any other components! as you can see I am a nuts and bolts bloke and I struggle a bit with capacitors and resistors etc. I passed my exam 35 years ago so the memory is to say the leasT a bit vague [retired plumber]

Kind regards, Alan.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 10:13 am   #7
Station X

Sounds like you may have disturbed the record/replay switch. On some Fidelity models this was operated by a long shaft extending from the actual control to a wafer switch on a Printed Circuit Board (PCB).

A guide to posting pictures in the forums can be found here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650

Old 18th Oct 2015, 12:41 pm   #8
lambretta
Retired Dormant Member

Oh dear I have to confess to spraying that wafer switch with a liberal dose of WD40 but I did blow off as much of the switch as I could afterwards. So is the situation retrievable or have I completely knackered it? is there something I could use to remove the WD40? Perhaps I should keep that spray can away from electronics in the future!
Alan
Old 18th Oct 2015, 1:21 pm   #9
Station X

Opinions differ as to whether WD40 makes a good switch cleaner.

Personally I'd clean as much of it off as possible and apply some Servisol Contact Cleaner which is available from Maplin.

Pictures might help us to identify the model and give more definite advice as to what the low output might he down to.

Old 18th Oct 2015, 1:36 pm   #10
paulsherwin

WD40 dries leaving an oil film which attracts dust, but it's not harmful in itself. Just wipe the surplus off with a rag.

It's actually quite good at cleaning contacts, but Servisol would have been a better choice. I don't know if there's any point in applying Servisol now, though it shouldn't do any harm.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 9:31 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it says Defiant on it, it's presumably a Coop own brand model. Whether it's identical to a Fidelity model would depend on whether it was badge engineered or made specially for the Coop.

A bit of poking about suggests a T12 or variant- Coop did several Defiant tape recorders in the '60s with ECC83, ECL86 EM84 lineup, data available here:

http://www.service-data.com/section.php/1777/1/t12
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Oct 2015, 3:01 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi there
It is a variant on the T12 and there is a manual available 'up top' here.
Since this is a cheap machine the ECL86 performs two functions - audio output on play and bias and erase on record. You mention it's not erasing - a vital clue. Check you haven't disturbed any wiring to the ECL86 (easy to do on this machine) then as Paul suggests put the original valve back and see how you go.
Personally I dislike WD40 as it has a hapit of creeping onto anything you would rather it didn't, but I can't see it will have caused this problem.
Glyn
Closed Thread