UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2019, 11:35 pm   #1
Tombarnettuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Another Ex BBC UHER 4000 Report Monitor

Hi I have just brought an Ex BBC (Scotland) Uher tape machine it has had the usual BBC mods as seen in the pictures. I also noticed on the board a track has been cut. Does anyone know why this might have been done. Also does anyone have any advice on how I might remove the yellow glue or paint on the pots that stops them being turned? Warm regards. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53048029_540052036487369_1538247459094921216_n (1).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	179521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1290.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	179522  
Old 7th Mar 2019, 12:19 pm   #2
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Another Ex BBC UHER 4000 Report Monitor

I can't say without seeing where it is on the diagram...and even then I'd be all at sea! I expect someone with far better electrical engineering knowledge than I will be along shortly, however.

As I just posted in t'other Uher thread, Elektrotanya has a PDF of 'BBC modifications' for the 4000 Report IC which could be worth perusing in case your board query is answered there, despite being a different model. https://elektrotanya.com/uher_4000_r.../download.html

Other manuals are here: https://elektrotanya.com/showresult?...oria=&kat2=all

I can't see your picture of the paint/glue in enough close-up detail to tell what it could be. Have you tried gently prising a bit off with a small screwdriver? If it's lacquered it will just flake away, and if it's still pliable sealant of some kind it might come away all at once. From my experience of my Report-L, attacking it with isopropyl alcohol wouldn't do any harm, though of course your mileage may vary...
Old 8th Mar 2019, 3:08 pm   #3
barretter
Heptode

If you find Elektrotanya a bit non-user friendly, you can also download the service manual at http://www.hifi-manuals.com/Uher/400...r-AV/downloads
You have to become a member but it's free. The pictures in the manual should enable you to pinpoint which part of the circuit the BBC have changed, but won't tell you why.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 4:04 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

The three-head Uher machines have a "neutral" position between each speed and the next, where the battery is disconnected; selecting a speed energises the motor, and the amplifier -- which can "wake up" more quickly than the motor -- is powered only when PLAY is depressed. The BBC mod locks the speed change knob on the "19" setting, and re-wires the motor so that it is switched on only when PLAY, WIND or REWIND is selected.

The other part of the BBC mod is to fix the recording level on manual. On an unmodified machine, "1" would be for speech and "2" for music.

There may well be variations in practice, since the modification was done locally by the BBC rather than at the Uher factory.